14 | put you in your place

Start from the beginning

"Really," Hyemi starts, "just because you're mom died doesn't mean you have to be such a bitch."

It hits like a kick to the shin. My mouth falls open with shock and it takes all my self-control not to punch her right in her stupid face. Being called a bitch and a slut isn't what gets me. Hyemi's called me things way worse than that dozens of times before but never - never has she mentioned my mom. It's just so low, so taboo that I just assumed she knew not to go there. Apparently I was wrong. Apparently Hyemi doesn't know a thing about boundaries and she's just as bad as her mother.

"How dare you." My voice trembles as I take a step towards her, my eyes burning. Hyemi takes an uncertain step back.

"You've been nothing but mean to me ever since the day Inha brought me home." I lower my voice but by this point, everyone in the room is straining their ears and trying to listen. "Why do you hate me so much? What did I do that makes you so angry?"

She huffs out a sigh. "Just stop-"

"I'm serious, Hyemi. This isn't a fucking joke, okay. Despite what you think, I'm not just some little orphan always crying for attention."

"Yeah fucking right." Hyemi scoffs. "If that's the case then why are you bringing this up now of all times? Right out in the open in front of all these people. Oh I know, it's because you seek nothing but attention. Your mom's dead and your dad was a fucking train wreck so now you just go around thinking the whole world's against you. Well guess what. It's not. So stop acting so fucking arrogant just because your whining got you noticed by Hansol."

I advance on her, mouth open in disbelief. "Is this what this is all about?" I demand. "Chwe Hansol?"

Hyemi falters, sputtering, off guard. "No. This isn't about him."

"That's a lie. You just said his fucking name."

"Jesus. Get over yourself." She yells. "God, just because mom pays special attention to you or whatever the fuck she does, you think you can start talking to me like this? You're delusional. This isn't about him so stop acting like everything I do and say revolves around him." Hyemi steps forward and jabs her finger into my shoulder, pushing me back. "Don't you get it? You always make fun of me and your best bud Nana for always talking about him when you're doing it right now. Centering everything around him, always talking about him. You're obsessed with him. You're a fucking freak, Shuri!"

My jaw clenches. "Don't call me that! Hyemi, do you really want to know what I'm 'obsessed with him,'" I asked. "Do you know what Inha has been doing these past few months?"

"Oh so now it's mom's fault?"

"Hyemi, you have no idea what-"

"That's bull!" She snarls. "Cut it with this blaming other people shit. You said you want to know why I hate you so much, right? It's because you fucking blame all your problems on other people and then expect people to still give a fuck about what you have to say. Ever since that first day you showed up on our doorstep it's been nothing but blaming other people with you. First your parents, then my mom who has shown you nothing but kindness, and now is it Hansol? Fucking learn where your place is before you start blaming other people for shit you caused." She hisses.

I open my mouth, ready to tell Hyemi everything Inha has done these past few months but the words are lodged in my throat and refuse to come out. Syllables stop forming and I'm left with a mix of jumbled up thoughts.