Chapter 17

Katalina's POV
I walked out of the building, ignoring Spencer's and the other's calls, especially Annabel's. I quickly brushed away the tears and quickly ran away from them, hiding from them. It was my fault. All my fault. It's my fault they were pulled into this. If only I didn't go to Las Vegas that day. If only I didn't enter that chess tournament. Spencer and the team would still be safe and happy and won't have to carry a burden like myself and Annabel.
I looked around, making sure Spencer or his team were anywhere, before making my way out of my hiding spot to a nearby cafe. I sat in the back corner and looked at recent articles of Katherine on the Internet through my phone. Nothing out of the ordinary, police are still looking for her.
How do I get her contact so we could talk? I needed to get this over and done with, for my family's sake. There's no choice but to kill Katherine. She's too much of a threat. It sent pain to my heart because I always imagined Katherine being an aunt for my children but now, Katherine was something to fear for my Annabel.
I sat in the cafe, planning out my possible suicide mission.
***
Spencer's POV
"What have I done?" I squeezed my eyes shut in pain, collapsing on my chair at the bullpen. "Why do I keep mucking it up instead of fixing it up? Kat deserves someone better."
"Don't think like that." Morgan told me. "She loves you, I can still see that."
"Just give her some time." Garcia added. "She's been through a lot now that you mention it."
"Her being pregnant at a young age, her twin turning evil." Rossi mentioned.
"Raising a child at a young age, getting injured by her twin, getting kidnapped and almost dying. . ." Garcia continued.
"Getting pregnant again which meant her needing to take it easy, but then Prentiss' fake death. . ." Morgan continued.
"And then me treating her like crap for seven months, her secretly getting death threats, the miscarriage, the divorce. . ." I then listed with a humourless chuckle. "God I am horrible."
This time no one didn't try to argue with me. After hearing the list, everyone truly realised how much crap Kat had been through. Annabel sat in Morgan's arms, staring at us all with wide eyes. "Daddy," she asked quietly, "what just happened? Where's mummy?"
"Mummy's just -"
"Here, I'm here." I turned to the glass doors at the sound of Kat's voice.
"Mummy!" Annabel jumped out of Morgan's arms and ran to Kat. "Why did you leave before?"
"I needed to clear my mind." Kat mumbled. "I thought you were still angry at me for not forgiving daddy?" Everyone glanced at Annabel shocked. Annabel blushed under our gazes and hid behind my legs. I cleared my throat uncomfortably and changed the subject, not wanting the team to listen to more of my family problems.
"Where have you been? It's been half an hour." I told her, concern obvious in my voice. Surprisingly, she didn't react to it and instead just stared at the ground, avoiding our stares.
"Like I said," she mumbled, "I needed to clear my head." I stared at her suspiciously, knowing she was hiding something. "But anyway, can we see the person in custody?"
"Um. . ." Hotch turned to me concerned. It was like he was silently asking me if he was allowed to lead her to the interrogation room. I gave a small hesitant nod in reply to his silent question. "Yes, you can. Follow me, please."
"Do you want just you and Spencer, or -" Rossi spoke up.
"Can it just be me, please?" Kat interrupted him. I then visibly showed them my concern. Why was she acting like this?
"Are you. . .are you sure?" JJ asked hesitantly. Kat nodded with determination.
"Yeah, because you know, maybe he'll tell me more information and all."
"That's why we have the two-way mirror." I quipped, narrowing my eyes at her suspiciously. Instead of lashing out at me, she just turned to me with a blank look and said calmly, "He'll know that, and won't say much. That's why I requested to just be by myself. Isn't this what you want? To get Katherine before it's too late?"
"Well yeah -" I started.
"Besides, this will be recorded, wouldn't it?" she interrupted me. She turned back to Hotch, who was silently observing her. "If you don't mind, I would like to see this person now."
Not waiting for my permission or anything, Hotch nodded and gently grabbed her elbow. "This way." he said, leading her to the interrogation room. When the two were out of sight, all of us stared at each other concerned.
"What happened in that half hour?" Prentiss murmured.
"Something not good." Morgan stated.
"What if it was Katherine?" Garcia asked concerned.
"She's up to something." I deduced. "I don't know if it's for the good or for the bad. I haven't been able to read her actions for a while."
"How long?" Rossi asked me.
"Let's just say. . .way before she wanted a divorce." I admitted. "I would have stopped the divorce if I had known what was going through her mind."
I avoided all their sympathetic or guilty looks (JJ and Prentiss) and instead turned my gaze to Annabel. "When Mummy comes back, I want you to say you're sorry to her, understand?" I said to her sternly. "What you said to her earlier was not called for."
"But Daddy -"
"No buts." I interrupted her, giving her a stern look, much to the other's surprise. "You truly know well that it is not her fault we are in this situation. If you should be mad at anyone, it should be me for pushing you both away." Annabel nodded, looking down at the ground ashamed. "So you're going to say sorry to Mummy?"
"Yes."
"You're going to tell her you love her and give her a hug?"
"Yes, Daddy."
"Good girl." I knelt down to her height and gave her a tender kiss to the forehead. I tilted her head up, so I was staring into her eyes. "You know I love you, right?" I murmured to her. "No matter what happens in the future, I will make sure to spend as much time as I can with you."
"I know." she mumbled. "I love you too." I gave her a small sad smile, and placed another kiss on her forehead.
"We have to be strong together for Mummy now." I told her. "She needs our support."
"Even when she hates you?" I slightly winced at her words, a pang of hurt surging through my chest. I saw the team visibly tense at her words.
"Even when she hates me." I said sadly.