Chapter 6

One month later. . .
Katalina's POV
The door opened late at night, making me know Spencer came back from a recent case. I continued sitting in the kitchen, eating my pickles that I have been craving for daily ever since my pregnancy.
   Spencer froze when he saw me at the kitchen late at night, and stared at me for a while with pursed lips, before making his way to our room, making me angry. It's been a month since Emily's death, and instead of seeking comfort from me, he instead avoids me - even Annabel! He would just go to his room and cry silently. I have tried comforting him, but he wouldn't talk to me, and would leave the apartment suddenly. I'm sick of him not talking to me. Not only do I need my husband, but Annabel needs her father as well. She couldn't do her bring-your-father-to-school because he was either on a case, or he would be gone for the whole day, doing who-knows-what. It isn't drugs luckily, from what I could see he just went somewhere to cry by himself.
   "No!" I snapped, halting his walk. "No - you can't. . .you can't just walk away and ignore me again." Spencer sighed, rubbing his face tiredly.
   "Kat -"
   "No!" I interrupted. "You-you need to stop avoiding me and Annabel - not only do I need my husband, but Annabel needs her father as well!"
   "Can't we just talk about this later -"
   "We both know that is not going to happen." I snapped. "Before I wake up you would leave the apartment for a case or to just avoid us. Why are you avoiding us?"
   "I'm not avoiding you -"
   "BULLSHIT!" I yelled, slamming my jar of pickles on the table. He flinched at the loudness but still held his ground. "I am trying to help you, but you won't even accept it! Spencer, you're not the only one grieving -"
   "Oh really?" he retorted sarcastically. "It doesn't look like it -"
   "Not everything is about you, Spencer!" I yelled. A slight pain came from my stomach, but I ignored it.
   "And everything is not about you, either!" he yelled back. "You-you haven't even known Prentiss for long like I have along with the team!"
   I narrowed my eyes at him. "Just so you know, Emily and I actually hung out a lot. We had girl's night with the others every weekend!"
   "Yeah - every weekend." he scoffed. "For your information, I am around her twenty-four-seven because of our job - hell, I probably hang around her more than you!"
   I gasped at what he said, glaring at him. "It doesn't matter who hung out with her the most -"
   "Really? Because it looks like it." Spencer snapped. "Seriously, just leave me alone!"
   "But I want to help you!" I exclaimed. "It's been a month -"
   "What, and you want me to-to move on?" he interrupted. "Are you crazy? That's my friend! She's like family for me! She was there before you even came back in my life!"
   "I know that -"
   "Do you? Do you really?" he took a step forward towards me. I felt pain on my stomach again and placed a hand on my stomach discreetly. "Why can't you just accept it that you can't be there for me all the time!"
   "I made a vow that I would never leave you!" I said, the pain worsening.
   "Yeah I can see that." he scoffed. "You're hovering around me all the time."
   "I am not!" I gasped.
   "Yes you are!" he argued. "So can you just leave me alone?"
   "Spencer -"
   "No! Listen to me!" the pain in my stomach worsened. I moaned slightly and leaned forward slightly.
   "Spencer. . ." I whispered, realising what was happening. Spencer didn't notice, and continued yelling at me.
   "-all the time everything is about you -"
   "-Spencer -"
   "See! You're doing it again -!"
   "SPENCER!" I screamed, falling to my knees, the pain too much to handle. Spencer froze mid-talk, and gaped at me. "Spencer, help me." I cried out desperately, clutching my stomach. "The baby!"
***
Three hours later. . .
I stared down at my hands, tears blurring my vision. The doctor's words still repeated in my head.

"I'm sorry, the baby was gone before we could do anything. . ."
"The baby was gone before we could do anything. . ."
"Before we could do anything. . ."

"No. . ." I whispered, bringing my knees to my chest. "God no. . ."
   The door opened, revealing a nurse and Spencer and Annabel. The nurse sent me a small sad smile. "Time to go, ma'am." she told me gently. I wiped my eyes while sniffling, and slowly made my way off the bed. Spencer didn't move from the doorway and just stared down at the ground, Annabel's hand wrapped around his loosely.
   We quietly made our way to the reception, my hand on my now flat stomach. "I'll be signing the papers." Spencer said quietly, letting go of Annabel's hand. Annabel sent me a small sad smile, and wrapped her arms around my waist, burying her head in my stomach.
   "It's okay mummy." she said. "There's always another time."
   "Is there?" I whispered quietly to myself.