Chapter 17

Silverpaw looked up in surprise at the new voice.

"Silverpaw?" The voice called out again this time shakier.

"I'm here. I'm coming!" She said loudly and made her way out, dipping her head to the elders as a good bye.

She saw Lilypaw the medicine cat apprentice her face a mixture of emotions.

"Um, hey? Did you need something?" She asked giving Lilypaw a questioning look.

Lilypaw quickly covered up her slip of emotions showing a blank mask, "Actually I came to get you for Beachpaw. He wanted to talk to you." She said plainly indicating to the Medicine cat den.

Silverpaw nodded and slowly padded to the den her thoughts racing.

Why does he want to talk to me? Is he feeling better? Is he finally able to train again? She shook her head. It was probably nothing. He probably just wanted to see her. But, hope roared like a lion in her chest.

She walked into the den looking around and saw Beachpaw laying in his nest. She cautiously padded over to his nest confused.

"Oh, hey Silverpaw!" He said in a raspy voice.

She forced a small smile as taunting thoughts seeped into her head, "Hey Beachpaw!" She said softly.

He gave a small smile in return before wincing in pain.

"Why did you call me here?" She said quietly.

Beachpaw smiled again before going into a coughing fit.

She watched in shock as he coughed up blood as well.

"W-what is this?" She asked shakily.

"Silverpaw. I need to tell-" He started before coughing some more.

"Silverpaw." She looked up worried at Cinderwing, "He- he somehow has gotten Blackcough. His chances of surviving are slim. Slimmer than a blade of grass. He well, since he was injured badly his chances of survival are even slimmer. If he hadn't been attacked to nearly death he might have a higher chance of surviving. But, alas he is too weak to continue and I think that he is- he may be on his deathbed. He has already been with family and friends but requested to talk to you last. This is only if things turn for the worst." She said stiffly.

"Bu- But? D- Doesn't he still have a chance of sur-surviving? Why aren't you treating him? Won't catmint work? Anything?" She asked trying not to hiccup her words as her eyes swiming with fear.

Cinderwing shook her head to indicate nothing will work, "I'm sorry Silverpaw. I know you two were close." She said softly before backing away to talk to Lilypaw who seemed like she might cry.

"Silverpaw it's okay. At least I can spend my last moments in this world with my family and friends and..you." He said in a soft but raspy voice.

Silverpaw shook her head, "Don't say things like that! You still have a chance of surviving!" She said choking up slightly.

Beachpaw sighed before hacking into a tough cough again.

Cinderwing walked in again "He should get his rest. If we really want to see if he'll survive he should get plenty of rest." She said nudging a poppy seed to him.

He gratefully swallowed and nodded a good bye to Silverpaw as she reluctantly padded out.

She padded outside concern filling her thoughts as she stood thinking about poor Beachpaw.

"Hey Silverpaw? I heard what happened. I'm really sorry about him. I hope he gets better!" A soft voice spoke as a head rubbed against hers.

She looked up surprised for a moment, "What?" She asked and saw Blossompaw.

"Oh I- Thanks." She said warily and rubbed against her sister.

Blossompaw smiled her green eyes staring into her blue ones as they sat in a comfortable silence.

"Blossompaw?" A voice called out.

"Sorry gotta go Silver. See ya later!" She said giving her one last comforting lick before padding away.

Silverpaw smiled and sighed padding away to see if she could help around or do something to keep her mind off Beachpaw.

Her ears perked as she heard a soft conversation but with hisses and whatnot.

"That piece of dung fur can't even do anything to save my son. At least our daughter is trying!" A she-cat hissed somewhere near her.

Silverpaw turned her full attention to the cat thoroughly suprised by the way she was talking about the medcine cat.

She realized it was Beachpaw's mother Sandclaw.

"That piece of foxdung is mousebrained. I don't even know how Sunstar lets her still teach my daughter! That mangy flea-bag!" Sandclaw spit her words thick with hate and venom.

A softer voice spoke out "She's probably trying her best Sandclaw."

"What do you know Thornpelt!" She spat out anger in her voice as her pelt bristled.

"Wait Sandcl-" He started but got cut off.

"Shut it." She said darkly.

"If your not going to do anything about Cinderwing then I will." She said her voice dark and a small smile curving her lips.

She turned and Silverpaw shot backwards pressing her back against the wall hoping Sandclaw wouldn't see her.

Sandclaw looked around before stalking off outside the camp.

She gulped terrified of what might happen.

She then felt two familiar set of eyes land on her as she stared in the direction in which she stalked off.

Interesting eh? I dunno but I'd say Sandclaw doesn't quite like Cinderwing.