Chapter 5

Batman paced the meeting room, trying to block out the other Leaguers' outbursts.

"Deathstroke did what?!" Superman had a look of utter revulsion on his face. Unfortunately, the Man of Steel's stomach was not as strong as the rest of him.

"But that boy is only a child!" Wonder Woman sounded just as horrified as she looked.

"Where is Deathstroke? I am going to..." Green Arrow was practically glowing with rage.

"That poor boy will probably be traumatized for life." Black Canary was the only one taking a practical view of the situation.

"Do you think they fed him?" Of course food was the only thing a speedster would be worried about.

"What will happen to him now?" Batman stopped pacing at that question.

"Everyone be quiet!" Batman was annoyed. The rest of the League had been shouting without a pause for almost two hours, ever since he had finished telling them what he had found at Deathstroke's hideout. 

Yes, they had the right to be angry. No child should have something like that happen to them. Even he, the unemotional Batman, was infuriated by the mercenary's actions. However, yelling absurd threats at someone who was probably thousands of miles away in some nice, safe hideout was not helping the situation.

Everyone looked at the angry Dark Knight. It was a rare sight indeed to see him showing that much emotion. There was something about this boy that seemed to get them all concerned. Sure, he was a kid who had had horrible things happen to him, but the interest that everyone was showing in him was unusual.

"We won't accomplish anything by sitting around here yelling. We need information, however we all know that the only way to find Deathstroke is if he wants to be found. We will have to wait until that time to do something about this." Batman was interrupted when one of the League's doctors came into the room.

"Excuse me? I hope I am not interrupting anything important, but I thought you would like to know that the child that was brought in earlier has been stabilized."

"Good. Do you have a list of injuries?" Superman blinked. Was that concern in Batman's voice? He shook his head. It couldn't be. He must have heard wrong.

The doctor frowned. "From what we are able to tell so far, he appears to have to seven broken ribs, multiple deep wounds along his torso, a broken femur, a smashed collar bone, a collapsed lung, a fractured cranium, and severe burns all over his body. It's lucky that you were able to get him here in time. A few more minutes and he would have been dead. As it is, the blood loss has sent him into a coma. It is unclear for how long it will be until he wakes up, if he ever does. Either way, someone is going to have to take care of him."

Batman did not believe in luck, he believed in planing. Deathstroke knew that he would be able to make it back in time to save the child, which meant that he had further plans in store for him. He came to a decision. "I will take the child."

Gasps echoed around the room, followed by even more yelling.

"WHAT?!"

"Do you even know how to look after a child?"

"Poor kid. He's doomed."

"Well, at least the food will be good..."

"But Batman, you are not properly equipped to look after a traumatized child. You could make it worse."

"I am fully aware of how to take care of children. Your concern is not needed, or appreciated." Did they seriously think that he was that bad with children?

Sure, there was that one time when a kid had completely freaked out upon seeing him and accidentally fallen off a cliff, but that was a one time thing.

Children loved Batman!

Well... at least all of the ones who were above the age of six. He cringed as he thought of how babies typically started screaming whenever he came close. But this child was not a baby. It would be fine.

Besides, he couldn't just abandon the kid. Not after what he had been through. Whenever he closed his eyes all he could think about was an image of the boy, cold and bleeding, with burn marks and deep wounds all over his young and fragile body.

Batman was not going to let anything else happen to this child. He would protect him from any more harm, even if it cost him his life. This child needed to be kept safe, and that was what was going to happen, and so a new family member was added to the Wayne household, and one of the spare rooms was converted into a miniature hospital.

Alfred was less then pleased to find that they had taken in a comatose child but over time, the sleeping boy became a part of the household, taking care of him became just another chore.

As the months slipped by with no signs of his ever waking up, Bruce turned more and more of his time towards finding and bringing Deathstroke to justice. If the boy never woke up, at least the man who put him in that state would pay for what he had done.

One month turned into two, and two into three, until over a year had passed from when Batman had first found the boy. Everyone was used to his sleeping presence, so it came as a massive surprise when Alfred walked into his room to find a pair of brilliant blue eyes staring at him. After over a year in a coma, the boy had finally woken up.

AN: After like three hours of staring at my device and hoping for inspiration to come, I have finally updated. YAY!

How on earth did this awful piece of writing get two-thousand views? I am confuzzelated by this... Anyway, I am coming up on Spring break, which means that more updates should happen soon.

I need an honest opinion. Who thinks that this story is absolute rubbish? *raises hand*