Oh Memories, Where'd You Go?

Start from the beginning

"What's your name, son?" she asked me.

"Brendon. Brendon Urie."

"Nice to meet you Brendon Brendon Urie. Strange that your first name and middle name are the same. I'm Flora Mae ," she said, shaking my hand. I shook my head at her comment "So, what's got you writing such a sad song?" she asked.

I didn't really think before I poured my heart out to this stranger but I did anyway. And it felt good. I told her about 7th grade, and the things Laken and I did in the summer together. I told her about the tree and then I told her about the day I left.

My mother tricked me that day. She told me that we were going on a trip and that we'd be back. I didn't realize that we weren't going back until we got to the new house later that night. We were 6 hours away from home. 6 hours away from Laken.

I wish I could've picked up and gone to see her but I was in freaking middle school. As time went on, I didn't think about her all that much anymore. I gave up on the thought of ever seeing her again. She never crossed my mind again until I moved back two weeks ago.

Things with my mother got gradually worse after we moved. Like I said, I was only in middle school so what was I supposed to do? Once I turned 18, I moved out. My mother didn't believe in me and my music and she constantly told me how my life was a wreck. The day I moved out she actually told me that she was glad because she never wanted me anyway. I would've moved in with my dad, if only I knew where he was. He ditched on me and my mom when I was younger. I never knew him.

Now here I am, back in the town I was born in. As I said before, I moved back about 2 weeks ago. As soon as I got settled in, the first thought that crossed my mind was my middle school best friend. I had to track her down! The problem was, how? She wouldn't have the same phone numbers and chances are she moved as well. How was I supposed to find her?

Then Chick-fil-a happened and we all know how that went.

I finished telling my life story and looked back up to the old lady. She had a funny grin on her face.

"What?" I asked laughing.

"This girl is your soul mate and as soon as you saw her again you ran like a scared dog with it's tail between it's legs?" she said chuckling.

"She ran too!" I argued.

She shook her head at me. "Well," she said, "I have to get back to my apartment. The caregivers get upset if we're gone too long. Brendon, I've only known you for about a half hour but I have a feeling that you and this girl are meant to be together."

I smiled at her and then dropped my gaze to the grass.

"Honey," she said, "will you be coming back here tomorrow?"

"I guess so, I don't have anywhere else to be."

"Okay, meet me here at 4. I want to hear more about this girl and then I'll help you find a way to get her."

"Flora, I'm not sure I want her, let alone she would want me. And also I'm not sure I can find her again." I said, trying to hide the sadness in my tone.

"Trust me, I know you need this girl. See you tomorrow!" she said with a wink.

I watched her slowly walk away and when she made it to the building I began to pack up my guitar. Flora had to be crazy. We were just middle school friends. Or was Flora right and Laken was everything I needed?

I packed my guitar back into the trunk and drove to my new apartment. My apartment wasn't that great but for 18 years old, I was lucky to have a place to live on my own in general. It had a small kitchen, one bedroom, one bathroom, and a small living room. I had everything I needed, it was just smaller than average. Luckily, when I moved out of my mom's, I was able to grab a few things like my tv, Xbox, and my clothes. I had enough to get by.