Chapter 22: Mission: Imperare

Britt's POV:

I stared up at the ceiling. My face ached from the conflicted gaze that had forced my eyebrows to furrow, my eyes to squint, and my lips to frown for over two hours now.

My thoughts were troubled; not because Talon now lay naked in my bed, but because of my newfound problem. He had gone to sleep over a couple of hours ago, but I couldn't.

My mother had told us the entire mission against my father, but it was only spoken of privately, in the board room. The plan was set, but for the past few months it had been a waiting game for preparation.

We would send in two Soldiers at the beginning. I wanted to be one of those Soldiers, but just about all of my friends said that they didn't want that. Not to mention Mom wouldn't let me either. Thing is, the person she did want to send in is Talon because he knows a little bit about the facility; that's more than any of us know. Keith, of course, didn't protest, but I did. Mom had a talk with me and tried to explain that it was "necessary."

This new problem of mine completely conflicts with that plan, and I had to do something about it.

I slip Talon's arm off of me and grab a pair of clean clothes, putting them on. I glance at the clock: three in the morning.

I walk down the ghostly quite, dimly lit halls to get to the medical ward. This was the first time I've left my room since I woke up and I wanted to see Smith for myself. It would probably do nothing but give me nightmares.

I reach the white halls and keep going, looking through the windows of every room until I find Smith. I stop in my tracks when I see him laying in the bed, stiff, with some kind of supporter strapped around his chest to keep his back straight. He was asleep with a woman at his bedside, asleep as well, with her hand in his. She has a wedding band on... I didn't know he was married.

I look over to the nurses desk and she quickly looks away. I walk up to the desk and she cautiously looks up at me.

"Yes?" She asks.

"Smith, room 202. Are there any Wolves that have his same blood type?" I ask.

"I don't kn-" I interrupt her, "Then run some tests and find one with his blood type. Take a pint and do a blood transfusion. It will help him heal quicker and hopefully, with some luck, heal his back."

"I'll tell Doctor Crane in the morning." She nods and writes herself a note. I don't bother with a reply and head back to the elevator, leaving to my mom's room.

Once I get there I knock on the door but get no reply. I take a whiff and sense that the room is empty. I try heading to her office instead.

"Mom?" I call as I walk inside.

She looks up from her desk and rubs her eyes as she answers, "Hey, Sweetheart. Need something?"

"I need to talk to you." I cut straight to the point, sitting down in the red chair in front of her desk.

"Alright. What about?" She asks, leaning forward.

"The mission, Mom. I want to go." I demand.

"Brittany, I said no." She say's firmly, losing the once serene attitude she had.

"And I said yes. I need to go. And I want Talon to stay." I snap, standing up.

"Brittany, we've talked about this. I'm not arguing about it again." She crosses her arms, standing as well.

"Why won't you let me go?" I growl, already knowing the answer, but trying to build up to something.

"I already lost you for over ten years, and by some small chance of fate, got you back. There is no way I'll lose you again; and definitely not by sending you to a possible death sentence." She fights back.