2- Do Not Talk To Him

~ ~ ~

I sighed and threw my backpack down next to the staircase as I entered my house. The only thing getting me through every day of high school was knowing that this was my last year.

Each day seemed to drag, and it seemed like I couldn't catch a break. On top of the fact that it seemed most of my teachers hated me, I wasn't the smartest person. History wasn't the only class that I was struggling in.

I entered the kitchen where I saw my grandmother sitting at the dining table. She had her reading glasses perched on the end of her nose as she read through a home and garden magazine.

"Hey, Grams." I greeted her, walking to the fridge. I sighed, happy to finally be home. School was taking more and more out of me lately.

I opened up the refrigerator door and stared inside.

"I don't want to have this conversation every day, Jade." Grams said from behind me.

I slowly turned to her with furrowed eyebrows. She stared at me, looking frustrated. I could have sworn I just walked into the house; what could I possibly have done already? "So, I shouldn't say 'hi' anymore?"

She set down the magazine and took her glasses in hand. With her free hand, she gestured to the sink.

"I don't ask you to do a lot around the house. I only ask that you vacuum once a week, and do the dishes." She said. "So, I don't understand why I have to come into the kitchen and still find dishes in the sink."

I glanced inside of the sink where one cup and a butter knife were sitting.

I looked back to her in disbelief. "Grams, there's barely anything in here."

"There shouldn't be anything in there, Jade. I tell you every day to do the dishes and you never do. You always forget, or you just don't care. I'm sick of having to repeat myself." She leaned back in her chair and crossed one leg over the other.

"Okay, I'll wash them." I receded, hoping she'd just drop it. "I didn't know they were there."

"Don't argue with me. Just have the dishes done." She held up a hand and turned her attention back to her magazine.

I held in a huff and quickly washed the few dishes in the sink. After that, I exited the kitchen without another word. I didn't understand why she always got so worked up over the smallest things. It was like she enjoyed being mad at me. Like she searched for reasons to lecture me.

I swung open my bedroom door and leaped dramatically onto my bed. I had ridiculous amounts of homework to do, but I was finding it extremely hard to get myself to do it. I also needed to find a book for my English class since my teacher, Mrs. Keaton, decided a book report would be a great idea.

I had gone to the school's library, but every copy of the book that I wanted had been checked out. My options were to wait until they were checked back in, choose a different book, or go to the public library.

I sighed and thought for a moment. Waiting for the books would likely take up all of the time that I needed to do the report. I didn't really want to choose a different book, and staying in the house while Grams was in this mood wasn't something that I wanted to do.

I stood up from my bed and made my way back downstairs. I picked up my backpack from the floor before turning back down the hallway.

"I'm going to the library, Grams. I'll be back in a little bit." I told her.

She looked up at me with a raised eyebrow. "The library?"

"Yes." I answered. "I have a book report."