Close Call

I woke up abruptly when the morning light hit my eyelids. It's never been normal for me to sleep in past dawn, unless I was sick. This means the cold didn't cause me to be sick at least. I sat up on the couch and looked around, like I was expecting something to have changed.

The towel was still folded neatly in its place, so I left it there. I pat my hair down and walked up the stairs. The best way to leave, without leaving suspicion, would be through the balcony. I didn't want the police of the underground causing me any trouble. As I closed the door to the balcony, a chill went up my spine.

I pressed myself against the house and peered around the front. Two skeletons stood there: one, tall wearing a costume and a long sweeping scarf, the other, a shorter skeleton wearing slippers and a heavy blue hoodie. The short one held a key in his hand. He was speaking too softly for me to hear. As the door clicked open and the skeletons filed into the house, I saw a kid, around eight or nine years old, following them in. This must be the family that lives here. From what it looks like, two brothers and whatever the kid was to them.

Without prying further, I jumped from the balcony to the porch roof, then climbed down to the ground. As I stood to my full height, I felt eyes on me. I looked at the front window and saw the child looking out at me. I put my finger up to my lips in a hushing motion, but the kid shook his head. He put both his hands up and started to put his fingers down slowly, one by one. The child was giving me a head start.

I darted to Grillby's backdoor, the store was closed until 10am, and knocked lightly. Not much to my surprise, Grillby opened the door and looked at me questioningly.

"Cherry?" He said curiously. "What are you doing here so early?"

"May I come in?" I asked politely, but I was already on my way in.

He opened the door more and I was able to get into the restaurant more easily. "Thank you Grillby." I said.

He nodded in response and walked into the kitchen.

"Would you like something to eat?" He asked.

"If it's not a bother."

He chuckled. "For someone so cold, you are polite."

I rocked my head to the side in confusion. "Cold?" I asked.

He nodded. "You Cherry, if you don't mind me saying, are a very distant person."

I shrugged. "I've always been that way. I don't really notice anymore."

He placed a plate of scrambled eggs in front of me. We sat in the kitchen and ate quietly for about fifteen minutes before he spoke again.

"So, where did you stay last night?" He asked.

I didn't speak for a moment, not wanting to expose my whereabouts. "I slept in someone's shed." I said shortly.

Grillby nodded along, though it was clear he didn't believe me. I was almost 100% sure he knew I broke into a house. He, however, didn't press the subject, much to my pleasure. He instead followed another subject.

"Cherry, the Surface and the Underground are linked now, I could call your family if you like." Grillby offered.

"No family to call. No friends either. I'm a lone wolf." I said with a smile. It didn't bother me, not having a family. I had unlimited freedom. It's as simple as that.

"Well you have to have someone." Grillby said. "My daughter, she's on a school trip right now, I have her. And she makes me so happy, just being in existence. Don't you have anyone like that?"