Terrible Things

Calum's POV

It’s been three days since Michael and I found out. I’ve been trying to gauge how Ashton’s doing, but keep checking in with Luke; he’s the only one who really sees Ashton in a certain light. Only he can say for sure.

Luke’s doing better. Michael’s been working on getting him off the coffee slowly so as not to incur withdrawal symptoms. Michael and I have traded off with him getting up early and sleeping late. Yesterday, Luke slept until past midday. We left him at the hotel while we went songwriting. He needs the sleep so badly. Who could deny him?

Ashton worked really late one night at trying to get the drum part right. When he did, it gave him a spurt of energy and he danced around the house with Luke, whose night it was to stay up. It’s times like that one that make me wonder how that boy could ever be sad. Giggles just bubble out of him. We finished recording the song the next day.

Today, I’m going with Michael to the recording studio to do some more vocals on a different song. Luke finished his yesterday and opted to stay with Ashton. Ashton’s been a little more low-key this morning, which may be because he’s tired, or perhaps the thoughts are coming back. I can’t tell; I assume Luke has either labeled it a danger day or not. He always knows the difference.

I don’t know how Luke dealt with this so long, and without telling a soul, just keeping it inside and trying to handle the very real danger that his best friend could die if he was negligent. I don’t know how he didn’t go insane. It would have eaten me alive.

I am hoping that Luke can handle today on his own, as this is the first time since we found out that he’s taken care of Ashton alone. He’s been sleeping better, but he’s still prone to falling asleep all over the place. I already told him I’d check in at random times to make sure he’s awake.

Fingers crossed.

---

Luke's POV

I’m texting my mum for the first time in a long time. I’ve been so busy watching Ashton that I have completely forgotten about her, which I feel terrible for.

Mum: hi sweetie :) hows it going?

Me: Good. u?

Mum: Nm. havent heard from u in long time.

Me: Sorry sorry sorry :( been really busy. Friend had serious crisis, dealing with that.

Mum: who? wat happened?

Me: cant tell you. ill figure it out.

Mum: ok :) do u need me 2 send anything?

Me: nah. Im good, thnx.

Ashton sneaks up behind me and grabs my phone. I jump up and watch Ashton disappear. With my phone. Jesus.

I chase after him and find him back in the living room. With no phone.

"Ashton," I say, "Give me back my phone!"

Ashton smiles evilly. I try not to think of the dream. "Not until you eat something."

"I've eaten plenty. I ate a banana." Okay, so it doesn't sound like much, but it fits with whatever else I've been eating lately.

"You're a 17-year-old boy. You need a hell of a lot more than that."

"No," I deny stubbornly. "I'm fine."

"Then no phone."

"Tell me where it's hidden, Ashton!"

"Not until you eat."

"That's not fair," I complain. “I was talking to my mom.”

“I already told her you had to eat.”