12 Ten Paces

BANG!

Laurens jumps at the sudden noise, yelping slightly.

Alexander stomps into Laurens's office and slams the door behind him, creating another loud bang. Laurens winces.

Alexander leans against the wall, breathing heavily.

"Something wrong?" Laurens asks quietly. Alexander shoots him a look and sits on the chair in the office, running his hands through his hair.

Laurens smiles slightly and steps to the chair, greeting Alexander with a peck on the cheek. Alexander's face is flushed and cold and his chest is rising with each agitated breath he takes.

"That damn coward Charles Lee completely betrayed General Washington and insulted him in front of everyone!" Alexander growls. "He's gonna get such a beating from me-"

Laurens stopped Alexander by placing a calming hand on his shoulder. "Is there anything I can do?"

Alexander grits his teeth and rose from the chair. He starts to murmur to himself fervently, obviously thinking hard. He begins to pace.

Laurens watches the scene with interest, yet knows better than to interrupt him.

"I can't disobey direct orders..." He says under his breath, pacing faster across the room.

Laurens waits patiently until the word "duel" escapes Alexander's lips.

"You're not going to duel him?!" Laurens can't help interrupting the pacing man. Alexander stops abruptly and clenches his fists.

"I can't. General Washington said that I shouldn't do a thing. 'We have a war to fight, son.' You know him." Alexander growls and mimics the general. Usually Alexander looks at Washington with nothing but respect, Laurens observes silently. This obviously is important to him.

"I'll duel him." The words come out of Laurens's mouth before he can stop them. He can't just stand by and see Alexander—his Alexander—suffer like this.

Alexander stares at him in disbelief.

"Laurens."

Laurens blinks. Alexander hadn't called him by his last name since the day he got engaged. It hurts him to hear Alexander refer to him using the formal name, but he also knows that this issue is outside of the warm familiarity that is their relationship.

"Alexander, you're the closest friend I've got and more." Laurens says. "I want to at least do this for you."

"One condition." Alexander says sternly.

"Of course."

"I'm your second, John."

Laurens holds back a smile as Alexander speaks his name.

"I wouldn't dream of anything else."

As they prepare for the duel, days fly by. Finally, seconds are picked and doctors are hired.

To everyone's surprise, General Charles Lee chooses Aaron Burr as his second. When Alexander finds out he laughs. Laurens agrees with the comicalness of it all. Aaron Burr couldn't assist in killing anyone if he tried!

When the time finally comes, Laurens can't push down the nerves in his stomach. The fact that he could die keeps haunting him.

Alexander looks at Laurens. The man's golden eyes give away his emotions immediately and Alexander leans towards him. "It's going to be fine. That coward's probably not going to shoot anyway." Laurens nods and swallows hard, his hand tightening around the pistol he holds in his left hand. Although Alexander's voice is steady and soothing, the panic that is shooting through Laurens's veins can't be calmed.

General Lee is already at the scene of the duel when Alexander and Laurens arrive. Lee looks surprised that they actually show up.

Burr stands a short ways behind him, adjusting his coat. He looks at Alexander and they share a look (read: a glare).

As they get into their positions, their doctors turn around.

Laurens's hand is shaking uncontrollably. He feels like a child with an irrational fear.

But this time his fear is justified.

"Send in your second!" Lee shouts at Laurens. Alexander strides forward.

"Alexander."

"Aaron Burr, sir!" Alexander smirks and Laurens marvels at his confidence. 

"Didn't we agree that dueling is dumb and unnecessary?" Aaron drawls.

"I believe the word you used was immature, and yes we did." Alexander says, only getting warmed up to argue. "But Lee has to answer for his inexcusable cowardice, Burr. How many lives were lost because of his stupidity and selfishness?!"

Burr seems to be thinking of a response, but Lee pulls him backward. "We're doing this." He growls.

Alexander goes back to Laurens. Laurens's hand tightens around the trigger and holds the pistol to his chest.

"One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine-!"

BANG!