blinded (chapter two)

when it attacked me, i didnt see it coming. it chomped down on my arm and i screamed. fletcher ran towards me and tackled it. he stabbed it multiple times and i noticed tear coming from his eyes. "are you okay?" he pulls me onto his lap. "it hurts. thats all." i tell him, grimicing. he pulls off his shirt and wraps it around my arm. "breathe." he whispers as ember and leeth run over. tears are pulling out of my eyes because of the pain, it hurts so much i can barely keep my eyes open. "what happend?!" was the last thing i heard, for i shut my eyes and everything became black.

fletcher took ember and leeth and put my on the ground. "she's dead. lets leave her. i only grabbed her because i thought she was someone else." ember looks at me one last time. "she wasnt very pretter was she?" leeth nods. "i know. shes just..ew." they walk away. no wait, im still alive. guys, come back! come back! im still alive! "im still alive! come back! please! fletcher!" "im here!" fletcher yells into my ear. i wake up. it was a dream. "whaa-what?" is stumble my words, sitting up. fletcher hugs me tightly. "we thought you were dead." ember's voice comes up, i realize shes standing behind fletcher. "but fletcher sat next to you the whole time." leeth was next to her. i could feel fletcher blushing. "probably to make sure i was dead so you guys could leave." he nods quickly. "see?" ember and leeth roll their eyes and walked off. "we got abunch of food and theyre cooking it." i nodded at fletchers comment. he helps me up and we follow them to the fire. the fire was huge. it had an elk, skinned and deboned- laying in it. i stared at it and almost wanted to puke. "I'm not really hungry." I told them. "youve been passed out for three whole days!" exclaimed leeth. I looked at it once again and ran to a bush to hide the fact that I was piling. "let's let her sleep." Fletcher said. "I'm not tired. I'll stay up with you Fletcher." he nodded, realived that he didn't have to be alone.

That night, Fletcher and I sat in silence till about three. "do you really think well find our family?" i shrugged. "who knows." i didnt want to say it but i truely doubted it. i missed the way my little brother would crinkle up his eyes when he tried to see something that was too far. the way my sister, 13 year old rendley was the best at painting. it was beautiful really, the way she stroked the paint brushes onto walls. my mom was the best singer you've ever heard. me? i could dance. and i could climb, and do flips. but that was all. we couldnt save our family and we knew it. "what if they're all dead?" fletcher voices. i look at him. i shake my head, unable to produce thoughts. i looked over to leeth and ember, theyre bodies close to eachothers. they were awake though, of course they were, it was their turns to watch. i watched ember kiss him awake and suddenly wished i could be in love like they obviously were.

the next day we worked hard. fletcher and leeth went hunting, and ember and i were making traps and fires and made a little spot for our food to go when we werent eating them, it was also easy to just tie it up and putting it into our bag without losing space. when they came back-they got a rabbit, and we cooked it. it was good, but he had to save it just like some of the deer meat. ember and leeth kiss, this time in the open. fletcher grins and walks into the cave again, it just starts to downpour and get dark. suddenly, a yell for help makes us jerk back. leeth was attacked by a huge...thing. it looked just like a dog. but its head was upside down and its teeth were as sharp as  piranha's teeth just like the other muttation's claws.

Fletcher ran for cover as I shot my arrows at it. ember was standing in the middle of the rain, her pink dress making her look like something out of a scary movie. Leeth was bleeding badly, blood pouring out of his stomach. Finally, we shot it dead. I ran to leeth. “please be okay!” I yelled through the rain. He smiled at me carefully. Then coughed up blood. I was soaked, but I had to try and help leeth. Ember was bawling, because she loved him. Fletcher came back with gauze and medical sissors. “ember brought them.” He explained. I nodded, I had to look away as ember took them and cut through leeth’s shirt. Fletcher held me close as she did this. “he cant die..” I whispered, tears coming through my eyes. We stayed like this for what seemed to be forever. When finally ember kissed leeth’s mouth, and he hugged her tightly. I turned and she nodded. We helped up leeth and I hugged him tightly. “don’t ever do that again.” I told him. He smiled. “I promise.” I had grown to love this kid, I didn’t want him to die. Fletcher grabbed him and hugged him too, I could tell that he was also crying. I joined in and so did ember. Fletcher had to carry him to our destination but It would be okay, because leeth was okay. We wouldn’t let him die. Fifteen year old leeth was like my brother to me. and could be. With his blonde hair and blue eyes. Our pearly skin also helped us look alike also.

That night, we buried leeth in blankets to keep him warm and ember helped by laying beside him. Fletcher and I guarded again. We watched the rain from inside the cave. He turned the radio again and he took my hand and twirled me. I smiled and he pulled me close and we danced.  We danced like this till it was time for ember to watch. Leeth didn’t  have to get up, but he did anyway. i was still shaky from the attack and fletcher held me close as i dozed off. i listened to his heart the whole time.