1%

The drums were the one thing that pulled Koschei Oakdown out of a peaceful, dreamless sleep. They were the one thing that removed the fuzzy numbness off of him and pulled him into the fluorescent world.

     He didn't move, he just listened to the four-beat drumming in his head. The drumming that stayed with him for so long, it became a constant. If the drumming was gone, his mind would feel hollow; he would be unable to think clearly, even though the drumming prevented that. Because of them, he nearly killed off a whole species which he secretly admired more than his own. Because of them, he caused a "frenemy" relationship with the one person who made his hearts beat out of control.

     When he tried to return to his own race, back home, they decided he was too ill, too insane, to be let back in. The problem was, they made him like this in the first place. Stupid time lords wouldn't even accept their own mistake. How many more time lords were like him, insane because of time lords? They must be glad they all burned and died.

     Koschei decided he was not ill or insane...he was twisted

     Koschei felt cold suddenly, feeling his hairs rise up in response. He shivered, tucking his knees into his chest, accidentally exposing more skin for the air to chill.

     He gasped, sitting upright. He reached for anything to keep him warm, but he failed. After all, the room he was in had nothing but a mat on the floor, padded walls, lights, and a locked door.

     He didn't remember falling asleep in a room as disturbing as this.

     He looked down at himself and scowled at his pastel blue-colored paper gown. What kind of a cruel modesty was this? It didn't even cover anything up, you could see right through the paper.

     He felt rage building up inside of him. He ripped off the gown and tossed it onto the floor, deciding there would be no difference other than a lack of embarrassment between being naked and wearing that piece of lined paper.

     He curled up, resting his back against a padded wall. What do they think I'm gonna do? Bash the drums out of my head??

     Koschei laughed out loud. I've already tried that, it didn't work.

     He rested his head against the wall, slowly getting used to the cold. It was a major difference from where he came from. It was always hot there.

     He listened to the drumming in his head. It was boring and did nothing but make his rage worse.

     He looked down at his naked self and felt very self-conscious. He gingerly touched a burn mark on his abdomen. He flinched, even though there was no pain. He sighed. There was so much wrong with his life.

     He heard faint murmurs. A human would have been able to hear them clearly, but his kind had terrible hearing for this planet. Where he came from, the air was thin and sound traveled easily. Here, it was thick and some of the sound was lost.

     Finally, the door slid open, letting two tall human males walk into the room, saying stuff like, "Don't make eye contact just yet. He may be dangerous."

     Koschei knew they were talking about him. He looked up, making eye contact before the humans could look away. He forced a open-mouthed grin. "I can speak English, just for your information!"

     The tallest human: a guy with black hair combed neatly to the right, looked down at the discarded paper gown and back at Koschei, jaw hanging open.

     Koschei crossed his arms, stretching out, not minding the lack of modesty. He was used to being naked around random strangers anyway. "So, how's your day been? Is it night or day? Kinda hard to tell stuck down here."

     The shorter human, a guy with blond hair finally forced a polite smile. "Welcome to TCES."

     Koschei rasier an eyebrow. He had heard that acronym before. "TCES?"

    "Yes, standing for Theory and Control of Extraterrestrial Species."

    Koschei slowly nodded, letting his brain process the information. "So...are you controlling me?"

    "Think of it as the endangered species list. We don't want populations getting too low or too high. Especially with a species so similar to ours."

     Koschei was slowly getting the idea, but the last time he checked, locking up an individual wasn't the best way to restore a population.

    "I think you will understand more if you come with us."

     Koschei was soon walking in between of the two humans, dressed in blue scrubs (better than the gown) and hands bound behind his back in handcuffs. He was being led through a bright white hallway, which hurt his eyes. His kind were known to have good vision to help reflect dim light so they could see in the dark. This was way too much reflection.

     They passed a female scientist who was of a short height. She stared into Koschei's eyes with flame.

     Koschei knew that only human females were smaller than the opposite gender, but the scientist didn't seem human at all.

     "You know me, Oakdown!" The scientist yelled, pointing at Koschei. "Don't you give me that look!"

     "What? I don't..."

    Koschei's two escorts stopped walking and stared at him.

    The shorter one asked, "Who are you talking to?"

     Koschei pointed down the hall. "That scientist over there...the short one with the messy hair."

    "Um...there's no one there."

    Koschei looked over his shoulder at those words, and sure enough, nobody was there. It was like the girl had melted into thin air or teleported through a wall. "But...but..."

     The two shrugged, beginning to walk again.

    Koschei jogged to keep up with them, which was really hard when you are handcuffed. He felt more rage heating up his face. Of course. They thought he was crazy, seeing things.

     But he never saw anything that wasn't there. He only heard things that weren't there.