XXVIII: A Day To Remember

"Noah," Marissa knocked at my door, before opening it, "Someone is here to see you."

I frowned. I had spent all day laying in bed, my attempt of getting up was literally me taking a long shower and then returning to bed. I had no motivation for going anywhere. Where was there to go? There was no point of doing anything is it had no point of being done. Why talk to my family when I wanted to be alone? Why sit downstairs and watch TV when I could do that in my room? Why pretend it's okay when it's not?

I turned in my bed and saw Kathy standing with Marissa, who just looked over my room casually before dismissing with herself, "Have fun," She said to Kathy sarcastically before leaving.

"How are you?" Kathy walked over to me, sitting on the side of my bed.

"Coping," I replied.

"Clearly not, Jacob. You're a mess," She nodded to the bags under my eyes, "How much sleep have you been getting?"

Honestly; none. I was tossing and turning all night and adding all the minutes I was asleep in between I would say I had about two hours sleep a night. I had thought of taking some of Mom's medication to make be feel at least a bit drowsy, but I decided that was selfish. Mom need that medication. I shrugged.

Kathy sighed, "I feel bad for leaving..."

"Don't," I told her quickly, "I'm responsible-"

"No, Jacob, don't you see that you aren't? You are responsible for nothing that is happening right now. As much as I love him, my brother is the asshole who made this happen. But as much as I love, he is also in the same position. I know he would be, where ever he is," She sighed.

"Why do I feel like it's my fault? I mean, if i never got so involved with Eric-"

"Then you would've been the idiot who let him get away with it," Kathy frowned, "Don't say that, anyway. You've got more balls than anyone I know. Taking on a guy like that, I'd say you're the bravest guy on Earth."

"And look where it got me," I muttered.

"And if you want to keep that look I recommend you get up, get changed and come with me," She playfully slapped my leg, "You and I are going to spend a good day together and we are going to show all those bitches out there who has the balls!"

"I can't be bothered, Kath," I sighed, "I'm sorry." But she didn't take no for an answer. She stood up and headed toward my closet, yanking open the doors and browsing through it. I watched from my bed and before I could speak, my sweater hit my face followed by pants and a coat. Piled on my face, I pulled them off and looked up at the ceiling, "I have no energy, Kath."

Instead of responding, a pair of shoes flew at me. I dodged bravely by ducking under my covers before coming up and seeing her stood by my bed, arms crossed and looking stern. I closed my eyes and let out a long sigh knowing that I had to give up eventually. Opening them again, I threw my covers from me and stood up.

"Turn around," I told her.

She gestured a salute before turning around to face the wall. I quickly got changed, making sure she wasn't peeking (she was). I could only think of my bed as I clambered into my clothes and zipped up my coat, looking at her. She turned and looked at me, "Ready?"

"No," I muttered, "Where are we going?"

____________________________________________

I wasn't to surprised to hope off the bus and face the local mall. The slushy snow under my shoes as we stood there watching crowds of families and friends wandering around laughing and talking whilst carrying bags filled with items they'd purchased from money they got at Christmas from their Gran or vouchers. I glanced at Kathy and gave her a look that questions why of all places, she wanted me here.