~

Levi's footsteps were soundless against the cold wood of the floor; he wore nothing on his feet but a thick pair of socks, making it easier to stay silent. He reached the top of the staircase descending into the basement. The steps disappeared down into the darkness, leaving him blind a few feet ahead. But he'd been down there hundreds of times. It wouldn't be hard to feel his way into the darkness.

But he wasn't sure if he should. It'd been a few nights since Eren had snuck up to his room, and a few weeks since Levi had been the one to do the sneaking. Sometimes Eren would stop for a few nights, like he was waiting for Levi to take the initiative for once instead. On the rare occasion he didn't take the hint and do so, Eren would start finding his way up to the captain's bedroom again, never saying a word about how Levi hadn't been in the basement for a while.

The man sighed and pushed a hand through his hair, internally fighting with himself. If he went down there, he knew he'd have to explain himself. Eren was persistent and hard to say no to. Thus, Levi had to make the decision - talk about what's been bothering him since the moment his eyelids peeled open that morning, or spend another miserable, cold night without Eren asleep beside him.

After considering his options for a few more moments, he finally swallowed his pride and made his way down the staircase. When he rounded the corner at the last step, he found a soft yellow glow shining from between the bars of Eren's cell, flickering faintly against the stone wall. His brows knitted together in confusion involuntarily - either Eren (idiotically) forgot to put out the torch before going to sleep or he was still awake. Levi found the latter to be true as he padded silently to the cell door. The boy was upright at the head of his bed, his knees up, arms around them with one hand locked around the other wrist, his head buried between his knees.

The sight suddenly had all of Levi's own issues temporarily forgotten; he eased the door open, careful to be as soundless as possible, and wandered into the little room. Eren didn't so much as budge. The only proof he was even still alive was the expanding and contracting of his ribcage, he was simply that still. Levi briefly wondered if he'd fallen asleep in such a position...

And for the first time in his life, for a reason he couldn't really understand, Levi felt the uncontrollable need to take someone into his arms. He leaned down and did just that, sliding his hands around the teen's shoulders and pulling him gently to his chest. Eren gasped at the sudden, unexpected contact and his head snapped up, nearly knocking right into Levi's chin. Still, the man didn't let go; he eased himself down onto the bed as it sunk into Eren's head what was going on, and he melted into the embrace, his own arms finding their way around Levi's waist.

"What's the matter?" whispered the raven after a while.

"Nothing," Eren mumbled back.

"Bullshit."

"Really. I'm just tired..."

"Then why weren't you asleep?"

"I don't...really know..."

Levi rolled his eyes. "Idiot," he mumbled, an unintentional amount of affection coating his tone.

Eren blew air from his nose in something of a laugh. "Did you come down here to call me names or to tell me what's been bugging you?"

"Neither."

The next breath was a sigh. "Okay then." Eren began pulling himself from the embrace - as much as he didn't want to. "Let's just get some sleep, I guess."

Though a bit annoyed, Levi didn't protest as his subordinate stretched himself out and rolled over so his back was turned to Levi. It wasn't a gesture of irritation, but an invitation which Levi couldn't help but take. After putting out the torch, he laid down as well, pressing his back to Eren's and getting comfortable - it was a position they occasionally slept in when it was too hot or they simply didn't feel like cuddling up, a way they could still be touching and comfortable at the same time.