Silver Paint

It felt so strange. So strange for Irene to leave. Especially like that. Irene wasn't the brightest star in the sky when it came to emotion, but for her to just disappear... That was too odd to be considered usual. You turned tail and headed down the path home again, frowning disappointedly. Irene was your only close friend— it only made you feel lonely that she didn't care.

You spotted your house not too far ahead. Had it really been that long? Boy, your train of thought must be really off the tracks today. 

You turned into the driveway and walked up to the door, opening it and closing it loudly to announce your return. Your mother greeted you excitedly. This was the happiest you'd seen her in years. It was all too different from the normal. "Come on, [y/n], let's do something special for your father!"

"Bake him a cake?" you suggested slowly. Your mother's eyes sparked for a second.

"...your father isn't a fan of treats and stuff. Why not just take him to a movie or something while he's here? You can show him your boyfriend," your mother decided.

"He's not my boyfriend, mother," you retorted pointedly.

"No need to be shy," your mother chuckled, dancing away to go do the dishes. While she worked, you clambered up the stairs to your room and flopped down onto the bed. What a tiring day of running back and forth.

Your phone rang. Eager, you picked it up. "Hello. This is [y/n]," you greeted in a buzz.

"Hey kiddo," replied the raspy voice. It sounded like a sheet of ice smashing. "How are you?"

Finally, you two could have some bonding time.

Just you, and your father.