Chapter fifteen - Reticules and parasols

Start from the beginning

"When we arrived at Exley last Thursday, you and Ruth seemed close."

He laughed. "Appearances can be deceptive. We just happened to meet in the car park. It was the first time I'd seen her in...what? Three, maybe four years. She greeted me like a long-lost friend, and I played along. It's always prudent to get on with those you'll be working with. That's what you saw when we walked through the door together."

"So why would she try to scare me away?"

"Don't know, but I'll have a talk with her. We only have two more days here, and I don't want Ruth to spoil anything for us."

Jess snuggled against his chest. "Don't worry. I won't let her upset me any more."

~~~~~~

Jessica had forgotten all about the Regency fair until she spotted the multi-coloured tents and stalls laid out on the south lawn on Thursday morning. They looked like confetti left behind after a giant's wedding party.

After a rushed breakfast Mandy granted them reluctant permission to look around the fair before it was time to dress. They had barely half an hour of free time, but it was enough for a quick browse in the early sunshine.

Glittering morning dew clung to the grass as the stall holders made last minute adjustments to their displays or warmed their hands on steaming cups of coffee. Jessica sauntered between the varied tents, pointing out items of interest to Georgiana, Jane and Mrs Gardiner. Caroline followed behind, wedged between Bingley and Darcy. Occasionally, her laughter would drift in their direction, but Jessica refused to look over her shoulder. She would not give Ruth the satisfaction of thinking she was jealous.

They passed one stall belonging to a dressmaker who made authentic Regency gowns for the most enthusiastic aficionados. The dresses were beautiful, but they cost a small fortune. A woman in the next booth offered frilly parasols, ivory fans, vinaigrettes and reticules; all items a well dressed Regency lady would not be seen without.

Jessica picked up one of the reticules—a confection in pink silk and lace—remembering the question she'd been posed earlier in the week. "It's just a bag. A drawstring purse." When the stall holder frowned, she added, "I've always wanted one of these," and promised to return later for another look.

Handmade paper, sticks of glossy red wax and seals bearing every letter of the alphabet sat on the trestle table of the next stand. Georgiana studied an elegant feather quill while Jane showed an interest in a calligraphy set with a selection of colourful inks. As Darcy caught up with them, Caroline picked up another of the long thin goose feathers displayed on the table.

"Allow me to mend your pen, Mr. Darcy," she said with a Cheshire cat smile as she waved the feather inches from his face.

"There's nothing wrong with my pen, thank you very much," Sebastian replied wearily.

Caroline tutted as she shook her head. "You ought to have said: 'Thank you, but I always mend my own.' Don't you remember?"

"No, because that's not part of this week's script." He shook his head before joining Jessica on the other side of the tent, where he feigned interest in a decorative notebook. "Save me," he pleaded in a plaintive whisper.

Jessica glanced over her shoulder. "What, from Caroline? You're a big boy, Darcy. You can take care of yourself." She grinned to take the sting out of her words.

"And you are a hard woman, Lizzy," he murmured, but was happy to accompany her to the next stall, where Bingley and Jane already had their heads bent over a display case belonging to the antiques tent.