Chapter fifteen - Reticules and parasols

Exley Hall late at night was a place of dark, cavernous rooms and a cold, penetrating silence. The only sound was the echo of their footsteps as Sebastian and Jess crossed the marble floor of the entrance hall. They passed the main staircase, heading towards the rear of the house.

Sebastian poked his head around the door, confirming the room was empty before they slipped inside. A pale light slanted through the long, uncovered windows. It created a geometric spiderweb of silver across the carpet, broken only by their shadows as they crossed the room to look out across the garden.

"Why are we here?"

Sebastian turned her so she faced the glass. He stood close against her back, one arm loose around her waist. "I thought you'd appreciate how beautiful the garden looks bathed in moonlight." His free hand stroked her hair, brushing it away from her face. "And because I thought you and Caroline might end up scratching each others' eyes out if we stayed downstairs for much longer."

Miss Bingley might have retreated from battle when Sebastian arrived in the green room, but during dinner she'd made it clear that she hadn't given up hope of winning her war. "She's a two-faced cow."

He chuckled in the darkness. "What has she done to deserve such a violent epithet?"

It was hard for Jess to admit her fears; they were like a ball of ice, locked away inside. Sebastian chose that moment to sprinkle kisses along her collar bone and up the column of her neck, leaving her with a warm glow in her chest. It melted the ice, making it easier to explain. "She saves her worst comments for times when you aren't close enough to hear. She said...well, she thinks I'm not good enough."

He continued his train of kisses until they reached just below her ear. "That's ridiculous. I can't imagine a more perfect Elizabeth Bennet."

"No, I think she meant not good enough for you."

Sebastian fell silent, seemingly content to hold her close as they both stood before the window. Then he took in a breath, releasing it in one long sigh. "If she said that then she's wrong, of course. You're far more than I deserve."

"You two were together once." Jess left her statement hanging in the air, wondering whether he would confirm or deny Ruth's earlier comment.

"Years ago. It didn't end well."

Jess turned to face him, unsure whether to push for more details. Curiosity was all well and good, but she didn't want to re-open a painful wound. The glow through the window shone on his face like a spotlight, highlighting dark brows furrowed in thought. Her fingers traced his cheekbone before running along his strong, stubbled jaw.

He captured her exploring hand in his before placing a gentle kiss upon her open palm. Then he smiled. "You must be dying to know why."

Jess attempted a nonchalant shrug. "I understand if you'd rather not tell me."

"It's ancient history, but given the fact that Ruth's not been on her best behaviour this week, you have a right to know." He moved them further down the room, where a window-seat offered a comfortable space for two. There he held her close, dropping occasional kisses on her forehead. "It wasn't her fault. If anything, I was to blame. I was young...we both were...and I should have been more supportive. Remember those phone numbers from the fans? And those women I mentioned?" Jess nodded. "Well Ruth couldn't understand that their offers were just as unpalatable to me as they were to her. She thought I encouraged their attention...that I wanted those females as much as they wanted me. She didn't trust me."

"I imagine it was difficult."

"And I could have done a better job of handling her concerns. As I said, I was young and foolish, but she didn't give me a chance to show her she was wrong. You listened to me...you believed me. That's why you're so special."