32: Family Ties

In The End by Black Veil Brides

Jesse sat at on his couch eating a bowl of cereal and watching mindless TV. He couldn't stop thinking about India or Kasper. His run in with them ruined his entire day, probably his entire week.

He wondered if Keenan knew that Kasper was trying to be more than just friends with her. He wondered if Keenan would care if he did know. India was his friend after all.

All thoughts were focused on the girl he had fallen for that when his phone rang he didn't bother to look at the caller ID.

"Hello," he asked tonelessly in the speaker.

"Hey little bro!" Jesse's body went frozen when he heard his brother's voice.

"Justin," he asked stunned, setting his bowl on the table in front of him. He hadn't seen his brother since he ran away two years ago after their Mom's death, but he had spoken to him on the phone every couple months. The last time he heard his voice was on Christmas Eve. He was currently at his girlfriend's family's house in Pennsylvania. A couple months before that he was living in a trailer park in North Carolina. Before that he was living in a motel in Tennessee.

He missed his brother more than anything but he knew that Justin wasn't ever coming back to Greenfield, and Jesse could never afford to go run around the country with his brother.

"Who else would call you little bro," he laughed. "I wanted to call you to see how you're doing."

Jesse laughed humorlessly and sank back into the couch. "When am I ever good?"

"Is that shit town still beating the crap outta ya?"

He ran a hand through his hair. "When is it not?"

"Well than I'm glad I called," Justin cheerily said. "I have a solution to your problem."

"No offence Justin but your solutions are never good."

He heard his brother scoff from the other end. "Just hear me out okay?"

"Fine."

"You graduate in a couple months right?"

"Maybe," he mumbled, picking at his nails.

"What do you mean maybe," his brother asked outraged. "You're not failing are you?"

Even if Justin split two years before and left Jesse alone more times than not with Wayne he was still very protective over him. Actually that's why he's protective of him. He was the only person left who cared about him and he wanted to make sure he was always doing the right thing, other than himself.

Jesse groaned. "You're worse than Aunt Stella."

"She better be fucking hounding you on graduating."

"Do you really think she gives a rats ass Justin? Her punishments include taking my car or guitar away for a day. I can think of worse things."

His older brother sighed. "I wanted to call you to tell you I have a plan for you to get out of that damn town after graduation Jesse."

Jesse's heart began to pick up at the idea of leaving the hellhole behind. "Really," he asked excited.

"Yes but you can't do it if you don't graduate."

Jesse sighed. "You're just trying to bribe me aren't you?"

"No, Jesse I'm not. Look I found a place in New York through Craigslist right? Well my roommate just so happens to have connections to a record label."