twenty four.

Hands to the sky, I am a dreamer

We build the hope

We are believers

Somebody free me from my chains

~ Holes In The Sky by M83

Dylan

I woke in the pale darkness, my eyes heavy and my body soaked with cold sweat. My hands seemed to be frozen to the ground, pierced and bleeding with snow. I was alone.

I stood and felt my head pound painfully. My hands met my head and I held it as I bent over and groaned.

"Dylan, Dylan," I heard repeatedly.

My head jerked upwards at the sound of the familiar voice. This caused another large tremor to run through my head, but I tried hard not to care. It was him. It was him.

"Domenic!" I called out. I looked all around me, trying to find him, but he was nowhere. "Domenic!" Becoming dizzy once again, I fell onto a nearby tree and held on to it tightly. I struggled to keep my eyes open.

And finally, there he was. Across the woods and next to a tree, I saw him. I tried to reach him, but no matter how far I walked, I could never seem to get there. "It's not real," I mumbled. "You're not real." Disappointment crashed over me in the biggest wave. I felt all the hope I had go back down the drain I had stored it in.

"I am," he spoke. "I promise." But he had the blood staining his face, his arms, his clothes. "Dylan, I promise I'm here. It's okay. It was my fault." There was no possible way he was really here.

"You're lying," I cried. "It's Damon, it's all Damon." I squeezed my eyes shut and held my head again. I had six fingers. It was a lie.

My heavy eyes opened slowly in the pale darkness, my body cold with sweat. My hands were frozen to the ground, pierced and bleeding with snow. Lola was here, leaning over me.

"Dylan, Dylan," I heard repeatedly. "Dylan, I'm here."

Flashes of white continued to blind my eyes. I blinked many times and the brightness went away and I was just left in darkness. I couldn't trust my sight. I reached my hand up and touched her arm, her face. I felt her bury her face in my neck and I closed my eyes and held her to me. She smelled of smoke and cold. My pounding head was unimaginably painful, causing me to be numb to many physical feelings. But not the emotional ones. She was here, and it was real.

I woke again later in the beige tent. A small lantern was lit by my side and the air was cold. No one was here. I figured I must have passed out or fallen asleep in the woods. It might not have even been real. I didn't know what was real anymore.

After laying there for some time, I finally decided to grab a blanket and get up to see what was going on. I was stupid, obviously, because as I quickly stood straight up, my head rang out in pain. Had I hit my head? It felt like something inside me was trying to beat its way out with metal. The pain subsided after a few minutes, though it never truly left.

I unzipped the tent flap and was greeted with a gust of cold air. I stepped out and zipped the tent back up. Luckily, someone had left my shoes on me, so I wasn't out walking barefoot in the snow. The tent next to me, Luka and Julia's tent, was still lit, while Stephen and Mom's tent was dark. To my right, far away in the field, I saw Lola sitting with her back facing me. She had a blanket wrapped tightly around her while she looked up.