twenty one.

"So you try to drag your feet down to the bar

when you're starting to forget just who you are

and they told you it was written in the stars

but you've never had a chance to look that far."

-What It Is by Kodaline

Dylan

The front door opened an hour later, inviting Julia into the small apartment. Holding a black purse and wearing a dark green sweater and black pants, she walked down the hallway and, seeing the light on, peeked into the open bathroom. She stopped when she saw Lola and I, me sitting on the sink and Lola sitting in front of me on a stool.

"Who's this?" Julia asked, looking at Lola curiously. I had never really had anyone over the house, let alone a girl.

"Lola," she said.

Julia nodded, giving me a strange look before suggesting that I invite her on the camping trip. She must have thought we were a couple. I didn't even know if we were.

"Camping trip?" Lola questioned looking towards me.

I glared at Julia. Having Lola come on a trip with my family and Stephen was definitely not something I wanted her to experience. But at the same time, it could be a way for Lola and I to be together. . .

"We go on this camping trip down in Massachusetts every year. It's normally pretty cold but it's fun," I explained, lying about the last part. "Do you want to go?"

"When is it?"

"We're leaving tomorrow around one and getting back Sunday night," Julia answered for me.

"I'll have to ask," Lola answered dubiously.

"You don't have to go if you don't want to. . ." Part of me didn't want Lola to go. I didn't want her to see or meet Stephen. But another part of me wanted her to go so badly.

"No, I want to," she said truthfully. I knew that she wouldn't be able to go because of her dad, but it didn't hurt to ask. Or maybe it did.

"Are you bringing anyone?" I asked Julia, trying to change the target from Lola to Julia.

"I am, actually." She had difficulty trying to hide a smile. Smirking, I hinted that she should continue. "I'm bringing my boyfriend, Luka."

"Boyfriend?" I exclaimed, wide-eyed. Julia had friends? She proceeded to telling me all about Luka and his blonde hair and brown eyes and technology degree and love for art and etcetera. Julia seemed extremely happy, and I was happy for her too.

After a few minutes, Julia went to the kitchen to do whatever it is she does.

She never asked me once about the state I was in.

*~*~*

Lola

The door creaked loudly open, creating a vibration through my hands. It wasn't that late, but Ray was either at work, watching TV, or sleeping on the couch. I couldn't dare wake him up.

All of me wanted to go to Massachusetts with Dylan, even if it meant going with Stephen. There was no chance Ray would let me go. He had already threatened me if I hung out with Dylan before even though he had never even met him, and he would do it again.