Chapter 23: The Army's Return

I began to feel numb to pain and fear. I barely remember the feeling of joy and excitement. I think I speak for all of us when I say that the war has hardened my peers and I. We're children who barely have any knowledge on how to protect ourselves. Innocence was once a trait we possesed, but not anymore. Our innocence was lost a long time ago. It shouldn't have either. We're still so young. Instead of taking on the responibilities children have to do, we're fighting like soldiers and clinging on to life. No one our age should go through that.

Around this time, all of us would be longing for Halloween to come soon. We craved the feast that would be held in the Great Hall so much that we could nearly taste it. But now, we don't have time. We're a bit too busy fearing for our lives. That, and cramming for our upcoming quiz Binns was setting us.

Seamus and I sat at in library studying for History of Magic. Seamus read from his book, his eyes skimming the words printed upon the pages. I thought about how I desired to kiss him. But of course, this wasn't the right place or time to do so. Maybe if we did, I'd feel better. If I kissed him, maybe it'd make things feel like the way they used to be. When there was no war or Death Eaters sulking around the castle. Even a second of feeling his lips on mine would help me make it another month.

My body felt sore from my detention the other night. I couldn't get my mind off it. I feared it would happen to me again. It'd only happen to me if I did something to step up to them. Maybe it'd be worth the pain.

Seamus put his book down. "What house was Merlin sorted in?" he wondered.

"Slytherin," I responded. "Why do you ask?"

"It's been bugging me all day and I was just curious."

"Oh, okay."

We continued reading from our text books. I didn't want to study at the moment. I just wanted to talk to Seamus, to feel happy just for five minutes while having a conversation with him. I didn't know what to talk about with Seamus so I brought up the first thing that came to mind.

"Have you ever dated anyone other than me?" I asked. I was genuinely curious. I regretted asking that immediately after worrying if he'd say yes, causing me to feel somewhat jealous.

"That's kinda out of the blue," Seamus chuckled. "Eh, no actually."

"Really? Not even like, crushes on anyone else before?"

Seamus shrugged his shoulders. "Yeah I guess. I've liked other girls before I went to Hogwarts and met you."

"Like who?"

"Seems kinda weird talking about former crushes with my current girlfriend," Seamus laughed.

"It's only weird if you make it weird," I reminded him.

"That is true," said Seamus. "Well, there was this one muggle girl I liked when I was five who lived a few miles away from my house. Our parents were friends so we hung out a lot but then she moved away and I didn't see her for like three years until her family came to visit. I asked her if I could hold her hand before she left but she said she didn't want cooties."

"That jerk."

"I know right." We laughed for a moment until the librarian hushed us. "Anyway, I don't even remember her name."

"Just a reminder, if you ever had cooties, I'd still hold your hand," I told him jokingly.

"Thanks," Seamus smiled. "So yeah, there was this other girl I liked when I was ten? I think? Her name was Mary Jane, another muggle girl-"

"You had a type," I giggled.

"Somewhat. But yeah, Mary Jane was this thirteen-year-old girl who helped her mam out in some shop in town. I begged my mam nearly every day to take me there so I could visit. But then the following year I got my acceptance letter and only seen her like twice since then, the crush crashed and burned, I suppose." I nodded my head listening to him speak. "What about you? Any other guys you've had crushes on?"