Chapter 5: The Attack of Draco Malfoy

Divination followed the morning after. I woke up early and joined Neville, Seamus, and Dean on their way to Trelawney's class. That afternoon we were given the task of reading tea leaves to tell each other's future, which I thought was a bit foolish. Tea leaves couldn't decide what my future was destined for, the same way a shooting star doesn't make your wish come true.

"What do my tea leaves say?" I asked Seamus as he looked into my teacup.

Seamus raised an eyebrow, simply staring at the tea leaves. "It's rather scattered." He looked down at his book and back at the cup, still confused on how to properly read the leaves. "I can kinda see a question mark, so that means unnoticed. And it looks like there's a sky which means special. So it's probably saying an unnoticed one will be special to you or something? I don't even know, this is a load of rubbish. What do my tea leaves have in store for me?"

I peered at his tea leaves and bit my lip examining it. "It looks like you're going to get into a fight, and you're going to lose. And I think it says you're going to be fine with that?"

Seamus set the cup down. "How wonderful."

After that I headed over to Care for Magical Creatures. Again, the same class as Neville, Dean, and Seamus. We made our way to Hagrid's hut, bustling about how excited we were to see what our new professor would have in store for us.

"It's great how Hagrid is finally teaching," Neville was saying.

"It is," I agreed, hearing the crunching of twigs behind me and spun on my heel.

"Oh yeah, it's great if you like a giant, hairy, dumb oaf teaching you about animals," Draco said to anger me. I shot a scold in his direction. "But of course you two freaks would enjoy this class-"

"I'd suggest you stop talking. Your stupidity seems to be contagious, I mean, just look at Vincent and Gregory." I gestured over to the tall boys standing beside him who were offended.

"What a clever comeback you filthy half-blood," the Slytherin sneered. The hushed cackles of Crabbe and Goyle came from behind him.

"At least this filthy half-blood didn't piss herself at the sight of those dementors." In my peripheral vision I could see Dean suppressing his laughter with his hand over his mouth, whereas Seamus and Neville were beginning to look on edge as Draco and I continued to bicker.

Draco played off his humiliated expression with a scoff. "You're one to talk! You were beyond terrified to leave your dormitory last year. Were you scared that whatever was in the Chamber of Secrets would come after blood traitors like you?"

"Not all of us are dangerously close to being inbred, and I don't have my pureblood daddy's money and authority to protect me like you-"

Just as things got heated and before others had gathered around to witness our row, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked back to see Seamus standing behind me, a concerned look etched across his face.

"He's not worth the time, Iris."

I reluctantly listened to Seamus and left the argument that didn't have a victor. Neville then got attacked by his copy of The Monster Book of Monsters. He didn't stroke the binding like we were instructed which got a laugh out of the students around us. We continued class and I continued to scold Draco. I kept thinking about things I'd do you him, like hex him again or throw a bludger at his head repeatedly.

Hagrid brought out a hippogriff for us to see. The creature's name was Buckbeak. When asked if anyone wanted to greet him, everyone stepped back in fear. Neville tucked his body behind a rock, not wanted to get attacked by something somehow worse than our textbook. Harry was the only one who hadn't stepped back. He greeted Buckbeak as instructed, and the beast immediately favored him. Harry then flew off on the hippogriff. I regretted turning down the offer. It was amazing how Buckbeak would spread his wings as he soared off into the sky.

When Harry came back, Draco felt like showing him up. He approached Buckbeak casually, but he didn't bow to him. Draco had spooked to the hippogriff, causing the creature to react ferociously. With its mighty talons, Buckbeak scratched Malfoy's arm, knocking him down onto the ground. Dean and I tried to suppress our laughs but couldn't seem to do so. Hagrid dismissed class to take him to the hospital wing. Buckbeak was still remained there as we all stared at him.

Some left class, and some, like Neville, Dean, Seamus and I, stayed a little while longer.

"Draco really had to ruin our lesson, didn't he," Seamus scoffed. "I wanted to give it a try before he nearly got his arm sliced off."

"You still can," I said. Seamus turned his head in my direction. "I'll do it with you."

Neville began nervously shaking his head. "No way," he protested. "Don't you lot try winding up like Draco."

I stood up from the rock I sat on. "Unlike him, we actually payed attention to Hagrid's instructions, Neville." I turned to Seamus and cocked my head in the direction of the hippogriff. "C'mon."

Seamus hesitantly joined me, matching my pace as we cautiously walked towards the winged creature. Hagrid's voice rung in my ears, telling us the steps to approaching a hippogriff. Slowly walking towards him, we bowed our heads, my heart racing as I hoped he wouldn't react the way he did with Draco.

I turned my head to Seamus, who was already looking back at me, his face going white as all the blood drained from his cheeks. We turned forward again, witnessing Buckbeak bowing in return, granting us permission to come forward.

And so we did. I stroked one side of his beak as Seamus did the other, moving his hand up to pet his head, being gentle with his feathers. I looked up at the Irish boy with a wide smile on his face, his eyes crinkling as he looked back at me grinning at him. His lips turned into a modest smirk, not leaving my sight and staring back into my eyes. It was the first time I realized just how blue his eyes were. Our gaze broke only for a moment to look at the boys behind us, Dean staring in awe while Neville was hiding behind a rock once again.

"You've got an act for that," Dean smiled as he gazed upon Buckbeak, Seamus and I.

"Yeah, I guess we do." I smiled at the gentle beast as Seamus smiled at me.

A few days after that, all of us at the Gryffindor table watched Malfoy talk to Pansy Parkison about his incident in the Great Hall. Buckbeak's attack was nothing more than a scratch, but that didn't stop Draco from keeping on his cast even when Madam Pomfrey had told him he could take it off.

"You're not still on about that are you?" Neville asked as I read my book. "Sure, Draco pretending his injury is worst than it actually is can get annoying, but it's just that."

"He's a lying little git and he always has been. It's karma, I'm telling you, for all those name callings he said to you and I." I kept looking at Draco feeling annoyed.

"You think so?" he asked. I flipped my book page furiously.

"I know so."

Seamus came running down the Great Hall, sitting himself down next to us with a copy of The Daily Prophet in his hands.

"He's been sighted! He's been sighted! Sirius Black!" Seamus hollered to us. We all looked at his copy of The Daily Prophet.

"Dufftown? That's not far from here," Hermione said.

"Do you think he'd come to Hogwarts?" Neville asked looking scared. He shook just thinking about it.

"We can only hope he won't," I murmured.

Seamus looked at me and nodded. "Yeah, we can only hope."

***

Oh hey there. I see you read the fifth chapter. Thank for that. If you liked this fan fic, vote or comment on it. Also tell me what you think about it in the comments, I really want to hear your opinion. Oh and try guessing what will happen with Iris and Seamus. Okay, bye!