Surprise

"Dammit Zoro! Right! Go right!" Kid snaps, waking you up.

"I'm working on it! That damn thing messed up the axle!" Zoro retorts as the truck drifts slightly. Your eyes widen and you sit up as a roar rips through the air.

"What's going on?" You ask.

"Zoro got us lost and we ran into an armored mutant..." Kid answers. You follow his gaze to what looked like a bull but with spiked plates adorning it's body, large black horns glinting dangerously close to the back of the truck.

"What's in the tool box?" You ask Kid.

"Just tools. Why? What are you going to do?" He questions.

"I'll know I get there." You open the back window and climb out into the bed of the truck, reaching for the tool box in the corner. The bull's horn pierces the tailgate and thrusts it's head up making the back of the truck lift off the ground a few feet before smashing onto the ground again. You cough at that and pale as the bull rips off the tailgate and tosses it off his horn before continuing his pursuit.

You sit up and try to reach the toolbox again, grabbing the handle just as truck hits a pot hole and the toolbox jerks out. You gasp barely being able to stop yourself from falling out, managing to keep your hold on the toolbox. You look up as the bull reaches the truck and jerks his head, horn aiming for your head.

You instinctively turn your head, the tip of its horn cutting below your eye. An old memory flashes over your eyes and you feel an unexplainable emotion weird up inside you as you glare at the bull coldly, releasing the toolbox and bringing out your gun, putting the barrel right up to its eye before pulling the trigger.

The mutant bull's head jerks from the impact and it starts to tumble. The truck hits another bump and you fall off the bed, tumbling over the dusty and rock covered earth. You growl in pain, waiting for the shock to wear off before trying to get up. You look over as the truck tries to turn but the front axle breaks off and the truck starts flipping.

You force yourself to your feet, limping over with your gun still drawn. "Kid!? Zoro!?" You call coughing. Loud cursing answers you and you relax as they climb out, Kid ripping out some mechanism that was inside.

"You okay ___?" Kid calls.

"That hurt like a bitch." You respond when you draw closer. He chuckles and nods looking at his truck, shoulders drooping.

"Ah... Damn that sucks..." He breathes, you can hear the hint of sadness in his voice. You hug his side, ignoring the pain that screamed over your body as you did so.

"We'll find you a bigger truck..." You murmur rubbing his back. He relaxes and chuckles softly.

"We might just find one on the long trek back..." He comments looking at the compass he had pulled off the dash board. "We went deeper into the west..." He murmurs.

"Shit..." You murmur feeling a wave of unease ripple over you.

"We better hurry then." Zoro detaches the bed of the truck and hooks some chains to it.

"Right, I'll savage what I can." Kid agrees.

"I'll get whatever fell off the bed." You decide, pulling away and starting for the toolbox. You collect some materials along the way, peering around carefully. You reaching the toolbox and stoop to pick it up when a shadow passes over you. You pause and look up, raising an eyebrow at the large bird type creature as it passes over the truck before gliding toward the west. You felt another wave of unease.

You haven't seen a bird in so long... It felt like a bad omen. You collect the toolbox and head back, finding the two staring after the bird with frowns. "You saw it too?" You ask.

"Yeah... There's only one bird we know in the west..." Kid says darkly.

"And we better get out of here before she tells her master..." Zoro says starting for the east hauling the truck bed along. You put the toolbox in the back with whatever you had found and grab a chain to help him drag it along. Kid helps on the other side, tugging you both in the right direction.

An uneasy silence falls over you three, the only sound coming from the truck bed behind you. Zoro drinks some water and passes you the canteen. You take it grateful, drinking a few sips, pausing when he whines the blood off from under your eye. "Heh... Gonna have a scar like Luffy..." He murmurs.

"Who?" You ask raising your brow.

"Some of us used to follow him, we settled in the town with Kid's group, he left one day to go scout another town, but never came back." He tells you thoughtfully. "He's tough, so I'm not worried, he probably got lost is all." He smiles.

"If he got lost like then he's probably in Alaska." Kid snorts. Zoro glares at him.

"I'm not that bad." He scoffs.

"Then how did we end up in that freaks territory?" Kid huffs.

"Who're you guys so worried about?" You ask.

"They call themselves the Donquixote Family. A real freak show the lot..." Kid huffs.

"The leader is Doflamingo is a trader with major groups.... But he mostly traffics slaves." Zoro adds.

"And no doubt he'll want you, you're new meat in this area and he'll want to know..." Kid trails off and grits his teeth, speeding up his pace. "He can't have you, I won't let him..." He growls.

You blink at him and smile a bit. "This is what it's like to have companions... It's nice..." You breathe looking ahead. They glance at you before exchanging a look and hurrying up.

Darkness was growing before you. Zoro mutters something readying two sleeping bags. "We'll have to stop here for the night..." He says. Kid nods in agreement, working on a slight fence before attaching it to where the tailgate had been on the bed.

"Need help?" You ask.

"No, you need to rest, so get in a sleeping bag we're almost done." He tells you. You nod and climb into one. Kid soon joins you in yours, making you blush slightly. Zoro carefully flips the truck bed to shelter the sleeping bags before getting into his.

"Sleep well you two." Zoro murmurs with a yawn.

"Night..." You yawn, getting comfortable with Kid and instantly starting to drift off.

A few short hours later you're all woken up by snarling and scratching all around the truck bed. You pull out your gun, aiming it toward the fenced in area as glowing neon eyes peer in at you, glowing drool running down from their jaws.

"Glow wolves..." You murmur.

"We call them green hell hounds.." Zoro breathes, carefully drawing his swords.

"Glow wolves is cooler... How many do you hear?" You ask.

"About five... We should be safe as long as they don't break through the fence." Kid says.

"I was sleeping so--" You pause, brows furrowing light comes over the wolves and they scatter. "Uh... Guys..."

"Shit... We can't still be in their territory!" Kid hisses. Zoro shifts.

"Just be quiet." He whispers before the rumbling of a motor frowns him out. The rumbling dies slightly and you hear a car door open and close followed by the crunch of foot falls nearing the bed of the truck. Kid hugs you close and protective. The truck be lifts and a shadow covers the three of you. Golden eyes peer down at you coolly.

"You three shouldn't be out here, those super mutants aren't far off." The man says.

"Hawkeyes!?" Zoro huffs.