Prologue

"Daddy! Daddy!" I clung to his leg, sitting on his foot as he tried to walk forward.

"Yes, Yo-yo?"

"Are you going on a mission?"

He reached down and picked me up so that I was in line with his face. His hazel eyes were identical to my own, and I stared into them with pure adoration.

"I'll be back in a few weeks."

I pouted hoping that my puppy eyes would be enough to keep him from leaving, "But do you have to? I don't like it when you leave me with Mother, she's so grumpy."

He sighed and his eyes were filled with sadness for a millisecond, "I'm really sorry, but that's just the way that she is."

"Why'd you marry her then?"

He poked my nose, "If I hadn't married her, then I never would have had you, Yo-yo." I giggled and poked his nose back. "Now, I want you to be a good girl while I'm gone, alright?" I nodded as he started throwing me up in the air and catching me as I squealed and laughed in delight.

He stood at the door with his backpack on and ninja gear fully equipped.

"Dad, do you really have to leave?"

He knelt down in front of me and poked my nose, "I'm a ninja, Yo-yo. This is what I do. You've been at the Academy for a couple months now so you must know something about being a ninja and what it means to the village."

I rubbed the tip of my nose vigorously and looked at the ground, "I'll be a great ninja like you someday. Just you wait. I might even become Hokage!"

He chuckled and reached into his back pocket. "I can't wait to see your carved face. Until then, this is for you."

He held out a lime green yo-yo, and I took it from his hand reverently. On one side were the words: "For my precious Yo-yo."

I gave him a big hug and started putting the string around the middle finger on my left hand. "By the time you're home from your mission, I'll be able to do lots of different tricks. I can't wait to go and show Kashi! I wonder if he knows any yo-yo tricks that he could teach me."

Dad laughed as he stood up to leave, "Well, I'm sure the he would love to help you learn some fun tricks. I'd better go now... Be nice to your mother while I'm gone, and I'll be back before you know it."

"Bye Daddy!"

"Goodbye, Yo-yo."

He left, and I stood in the doorway and watched as his silhouette disappeared down the road.

"Kaiyo, shut that door now. You're going to let in bugs."

"Yes, Mother." I shut the door and slipped inside, holding the yo-yo close to my small chest.

"Kanaye will be staying over while your father is gone. He's going to help around the house."

I froze. I hated Kanaye. He was so creepy and weird. But, I remembered what Dad had told me about being nice to my mother so I simply said, "Do you want me to get the guest room ready?"

"No need."

I tilted my head to the side in confusion, "Where's he going to sleep?"

"That's none of your concern."

"Yes, Mother."

There was a knock at the door, and Mother opened it quickly.

"Nori! Looking lovely as always." A man stood at the door. His smug face looked down at me, and the gaze of his murky-brown eyes made me shudder. "Oh my, Kaiyo, look at how big you've grown." He knelt down and pretended like we were close, "How old are you now, four?"