I sighed. He made sense, I knew it, but I didn’t want to listen to him. “Yeah, but how could I do that from here?”

He let out a breath. “I will do the monitoring for you through a private investigator. You don’t have to worry about that,” he said and ran his hand through his thick hair.

I thought over his words, and then it clicked. “But you only found that out the night of the party, so why were you so adamant against me leaving before?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.

He turned away and looked at the microwave. “It’s ready,” he said a second before it beeped.

“You are trying to avoid it and I will leave you,” I said getting up and grabbing the mugs. I set them down on the island in front of me and spooned in five heaped spoons of the instant hot chocolate into the mugs. I stirred it, added broken pieces of chocolate and then handed Alex his mug.

He looked down at it with a broad grin. “Thanks,” he said, his teeth glistening with excitement.

“Are you sure that you a million year old vampire and not a five year old?” I asked with a yawn.

He switched his gaze to me. His eyes dulled and he gave me a dry look. “Ha-ha, very funny. I am only a few centuries old,” he said irritated.

I shrugged, grabbed my mug and walked back to my room. He followed me right into my room and waited until I was tucked in and sipping my hot chocolate before he left.

“Good night, Liv,” he said as he was closing the door.

“Good night,” I whispered and yawned. The door slammed shut, but not after I saw a ghost of a smile on Alex’s lips. With a small smile, I finished my hot chocolate and went to sleep.

When I woke up the next morning, Alex stood over my bed with a bright smile and a tray of breakfast. “What do you want? For me to feed you?” I asked as I stifled a yawn.

He rolled his eyes. “No, this is for you.”

I sat ramrod at that statement and looked at him, studying him. I rubbed my eyes.

“Are you joking?” I asked, not believing him.

He shook his head. No.

“Did you poison it?” I asked and raised an eyebrow.

He laughed. “What joy would I get from poisoning you?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. Why else would you make me breakfast?”

He looked away and avoided my gaze. “I need you to come with me for this meeting today,” he said looking away.

I stopped. “Why?”

“I have –never mind why, I just want you to be there. As simple as that,” he said in a jerk way.

I scoffed. “Thanks for being a jerk. I mean it is just so comforting,” I said and grabbed the tray out of his hands and began eating.

Two hours later, I was bathed and dressed and my room was tidied. I walked out and found Alex leaning against the banister and staring at my door. When he saw me, he looked up and frowned. I narrowed my eyes at him warningly.

“You have to change,” he said deadpanned.

I folded my arms across my chest.

“You have to change! You’re going to meet the biggest and oldest and most important vampires today, Liv. Be reasonable! These are the people that help me run my kingdom so smoothly. They need to see how beautifully dressed you are to appreciate and respect me,” he said getting a little irritated.