Our Everlasting Melody (21)

Start from the beginning

She nodded, wiping at her eyes with her free hand. "Yeah," she sniffed. "It's just something that Kyle and I really want, you know?"

I understood. It wasn't like I knew what she meant from experience, but I could understand why she would be upset. This was obviously something she wanted more than anything.

"I wanted to find out before we left," she informed me now. "Because if I was pregnant, I'd want you and mom and dad to all know right away. But since... since they were all negative, there really was no point, huh?"

I frowned. I really had no idea what I was supposed to say to her. She just seemed so broken, and it made me feel absolutely horrible. I didn't know what it was like to really want a baby and not get one after trying so many times, but... I was sure it must have felt terrible.

"But what if Kyle or I just can't have kids?" she whimpered now, and I could tell that this was something that she was really worried about. "What am I going to do? We both want kids so badly, but we've been trying and trying and nothing's happened!"

I now clutched onto both of her hands. "It's going to be okay, alright?" I told her. I really wanted her to stop crying before I started. I had always been the baby, not the other way around. Morgan had always been so much stronger than I was. "You'll be able to have a baby. But even if you can't, I know you and Kyle will be able to get through it. Because you love each other more than anything."

My sister now sniffed, pulling her hands away from mine so she could wipe at her eyes. She looked so scared, so vulnerable. It was something I hadn't ever seen before. When she had been dating Kyle in high school and she fought my parents about it, she never shed a tear. She was strong and yelled back at them confidently. But this was something that really scared her.

"Well, I better go tell Kyle that it's a no," she sighed, pushing herself up off the toilet and toward the door. "I told him I wanted to be alone for this, so he's downstairs."

I nodded, following my sister out of the bathroom and toward the stairs. Kyle was on the couch downstairs, watching TV rather anxiously. He was obviously waiting to hear what news his wife had to say.

"So?" he asked, an excited smile growing on his face as he saw his wife make her way down the stairs. "What did they say?"

Morgan was frowning. "Negative. All of them."

Kyle's smile immediately deteriorated. I felt so bad for them. They wanted a baby more than anything, but they just weren't getting one.

"Well, we'll just have to keep trying, then," Kyle shrugged, and I couldn't help but make a face. I didn't want to think about them doing anything together. "We won't let this get us down! We have all our lives ahead of us."

He might have been talking positively, but he looked just as disappointed as Morgan was. But he wasn't about to show it, because I knew he didn't want to worry her.

"Okay, we should go now," Morgan informed her husband, who now flipped the TV off. "We'll be back in a couple of months for a visit!"

I followed both her and Kyle out to their car and helped them place their belongings inside. Morgan looked like she hadn't been crying at all, and I was kind of impressed by this. When I cried, it took me a while to look like I hadn't been.

"It's a shame that we have to leave," she sighed as she threw her suitcase uncaringly into the back of her car. "But it was a lot of fun."

I smiled at her. "Yeah, it was."

"We'll be back for your show," she assured me now as she made her way toward the passenger's seat. "I can't wait to see you as Sandy!"

I sure could. Being in a musical was nerve wracking.