30. | 6 weeks before

Hailey:

"Seriously, Jake, that's not a normal bruise." I tell Jakob for about the third time now. He's laying next to me on my bed, reading his class English novel.

"Stop worrying about me." He laughs half heartedly, tilting the book down and looking up at me.

"Please take up my Mum's offer and let us take you to a doctor. For me." I plead, cupping his face in my hand again. He pouts slightly, still staring blankly into my eyes.

"I hate the doctors." He states.

"Why?" I ask, a little confused.

"Do you want the truth?"

"Of course I want the truth."

"They always see my scars, and after that, they look at me differently. I hate the way most people look at you differently after they realise you have scars." Jakob confesses, his voice low but clear.

"It's just your face, okay? They won't have to see any of your scars. But if they do, remember you're beautiful with or without them." I tell him, moving my hand from his face to his arm, looking under his bracelets and seeing the faded, pink lines.

"Can I please kiss you?" He asks, his eyes slightly watery as he smiles at me.

"You don't need to ask." I whisper, smiling back.

My heart starts beating faster, as it usually does when Jakob comes near me this way. He props himself up on his elbow and leans down, connecting his soft lips with mine. It's scary how amazing it feels to kiss him, his lips feeling like heaven and his mouth always tasting sweet.

"Are you guys okay!?" I hear my Mum call. It doesn't sound like she's far away and Jakob is off of me within milliseconds, reading his book again.

"Actually, we're just getting ready to go to the doctors." I call back, turning to find Jakob looking at me with a slightly amused expression. I think he just gave in.

•••

"Yep, it's broken." The doctor walks into the room holding Jakob's X-Ray's.

"B-broken?" Jakob stutters nervously, bringing a hand to his face like he can't believe it.

"You've fractured your cheekbone, Mr Delgado. It looks like you've done this over a matter of time." The doctor explains, showing us on the picture.

"Does he need surgery?" Mum asks.

"We have a cancellation for Monday. Are you able to come in then?" He replies.

"U-uh, I... I think so." Jakob stumbles when Mum turns to him.

"Great, I'll see you then."

•••

I'm angry but also confused at what the doctor said. Chris broke his cheekbone, but the doctor said it happened over time? That makes no sense. Jakob is sitting on the floor against my wall, his iPad resting up against his thighs. I have to ask; I have to know.

"What did the doctor mean 'it happened over time'?"

"I don't know. It doesn't make sense." He shrugs but he doesn't look up.

I decide to let it go. Jakob is staying with us until tomorrow night and I don't want another argument. Im actually really excited for tonight because he doesn't usually sleep over on weekends.

"I can do this later." I watch as Jakob shuts his iPad. I'm sitting cross legged on the edge of the bed, basically just watching him. I don't know why I find it so soothing.