Chapters 8 & 9

Friday, March 23rd, 2007. 9:05 AM

Hyper. Mega. Ultra. Super

Hyperactive. My brain didn’t rest last night. I’ve barely slept. I feel excited and nervous.

Megaworried. Let’s be honest, what’s happening to me isn’t fucking normal. Besides, when I got up my nose bled again. I don’t know if it has something to do with it, but up until last Monday it hardly ever happened to me.

Ultra-outraged. Because of the behavior of supposed forces of law and order, and people in general.

Supersurprised. Yesterday, before going to bed, the neighbor I helped three days ago came to tell me thank you.

I’ll write more later; right now, I’m going to the office. I have a ton of invoices to prepare and send today, or next month I won’t be able to pay rent or the other freelancers, and I won’t have anything to eat.

Friday, March 23rd, 2007, 12:10 PM

Sensationalism for the highest bidder

This is intense! I’m in the fucking newspaper! Now I am reeling.

When I got to the station, a girl gave me a publication, the most sensationalist free newspaper there is. I would have preferred something better, but there was nothing else left.

Before continuing to read whatever book I’m on at the moment, I have a habit of checking out the free newspaper they give me and only reading the news or sections that catch my eye, always skipping the sports and focusing on sections that have to do with leisure and culture.

I also read the horoscopes, like everyone else, even though they’re the dumbest thing in existence.

So, on page five, the headline for one of the articles in the side column, in small print, got my attention and made me jump in my seat. I think the lady sitting next to me saw my reaction, and when she looked at me, I couldn’t help but close the newspaper. I felt like a little kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

The headline was thus: 

“Two security guards receive a brutal beating from an anonymous stranger”. 

And the article continued with the same sensationalist tone: 

“Security guards A. F. Gómez and R. E. de la Rosa, responsible yesterday for security on line C1 of Maresme Light Rail, were checked in to Barcelona’s Hospital del Mar at 8:30 PM after having been brutally attacked by a man still unidentified. The attack took place in—I prefer not to put the town’s name here—around seven in the evening. According to some witnesses who were present, the man rushed against the Railway workers in defense of a young couple who had had problems with the aforementioned. 

At this time, the police are collecting information on the attacker to bring him to justice, but apparently, no witness could give a detailed description of the individual, alleging that they were so impressed by the scene that they did not look closely.

R. E. de la Rosa was discharged this morning, while his colleague, A. F. Gómez, is still in the I.C.U.”.Assholes!

And they don’t put anything about what they did to those kids? I feel disgusted, and dizzy.