Chapter Three

Key's P.O.V.

"Thank you." I say weakly my voice slightly raspy from all my previous sobbing and he gives me a small smile.

"It's not a problem." He replies but it wasn't true.

When he caught me in my little breakdown it was clear that I would be too upset to continue my classes for today so he's skipping with me. We ended up driving around aimlessly until I calmed the hell down and now we sat in a semi awkward silence at a park I've been to countless times with Ryder and his baby sister.

Ryder...if he should see us now...

Would he be upset?

Probably.

Even if whatever Devon and I had was platonic.

"I'm sorry that every time we're together I'm a complete mess. I'm sure I've made a horrible first impression when I should seriously be the one helping you settle in at school since your the new kid and all." I say quietly and he chuckles softly.

For some reason it felt like I'd heard the laugh a million times before.

"I honestly don't mind and your actually the first friend I've made since moving here so you're helping me more than you think." He says with a thoughtful expression.

"Hey Kai?" He asks and I finally ask a question I've wanted to ask for awhile.

"How do you know that name? I go by Key now." I say curiously and he sighs remaining silent for what seems like forever.

I'm not sure he'll answer but then he does and it confuses me more.

"Do you believe in destiny? That each and everyone of us have predestined paths that will inevitably cross despite the odds?" He asks in return and I think for a moment before replying.

"I'm not so sure but for some weird reason I feel like our paths have crossed before. I know that sounds stupid but..." He cuts me off before I can continue eyes lighting up slightly as he fixes me with one of his signature intense gazes.

"It's not stupid at all...you're in no way silly Kai. Follow your instincts and you'll find the answers to the questions I'm sure haunt you daily." He says and the his words strike a nerve in me and my next actions surprise me.

I grab on to the collar of his shirt roughly pulling him towards me as I fix him with cold hard glare and he smirks his stormy blue orbs glinting with mischief.

"Who are you?" I ask icily and his smirk widens as he leans more into me our lips a whisper apart.

"Oh Kai..." He starts and I cut him off in annoyance.

"Key." I correct harshly.

"I bet your new idiot posse encourages your tormented ignorance, Kai." He says emphasizing the name I've grown to hate. 

"Tell me Dev." The words rolled off my tongue so easily like a reflex and my mind begins to go a little fuzzy.

"If you don't remember then you don't deserve to know." He hisses hurt flashing through his eyes.

Hurt I swear I've seen before...

When...

---------------

Devon and I haven't spoken to each other since I found out about his crush on me. No matter how hard I try to apologize or talk to him in general he refuses. He's been avoiding me like the plague and from what little I've seen of him...things aren't so pretty. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.