Chapter 7 - The Second Task

Start from the beginning

He took a bite of bread, then put it down on his plate. He could hardly swallow; his throat was too dry.

A feeling suddenly washed over Harry, as if someone was watching him. As if to prove this theory correct, he glanced up and directly opposite him sat Draco at the Slytherin table, watching him carefully.

Seeing him there brought back the memories from the night before, and he blushed and looked down at his plate, only to look back up at the blonde, who was smiling at him. Both boys were remembering the night previous.

Harry watched as Pansy slapped Draco's arm, brining the boy out of his daze. He blushed and looked away, and Harry smirked. He didn't know what he and Draco were at that moment, but he was certain there was something between them.
__________________________

The weeks rolled by, but neither Draco nor Harry had been able to see each other, let alone talk, for they had busy schedules and hardly any classes together. All they had been able to do was look across at each other in the great hall, sharing futile glances.

To make things worse, Harry was trying as hard as he could to figure out the clue but nothing was working. It was a few days until the task now, and he was panicking more than ever. Ron and Hermione had tried, of course, but were just as stuck as he was. The only thing he had to go on was Cedric's stupid advice about the prefect's bathroom, which he was sure was utter nonsense.

Now, Harry, Ron and Hermione were in the Gryffindor common room, sitting in armchairs by the fire. Ron was eating some chocolate and Hermione was scribbling furiously on a piece of parchment, a textbook open beside her.

Harry was fed up. He desperately wanted to see Draco again; the boy was driving him insane, plus the second task was in a few days.

Harry held his egg in his hands tightly, looking at it, willing it to show him the clue.

"What's your secret?" He murmured, sighing.

"So, Harry," Ron said, through a mouthful of chocolate. "Who is it?" he raised his eyebrows at his best friend, who swallowed. Harry tensed. He knew this was coming.

"I'm not er, not really seeing, um, them," he said, unsure how he was going to weave his way out of this one.

"What do you mean, not seeing them?" Ron asked, his full attention on Harry now. "You didn't deny it at before, plus you have that 'I'm-in-love-look,'"

Harry opened his mouth to protest. "I do not have an 'I'm-in-love' look!" he said indignantly. "And I tired to tell you I wasn't seeing them, except someone," he said, looking pointedly at Hermione, who wasn't taking an interest in the conversation.

"Except someone interrupted me, very rudely." Harry sat back and folded his arms.

"Whatever, mate," Ron said, his fingers sticky. "As long as she's treating you right, that's all that matters. I won't ask any more."

Harry smiled gratefully at him and sat back, glad the subject was over. He thought about everything; Draco, the egg, the task, Draco, the clue, Draco.

Eventually, Harry lifted himself from the chair he was lounging in, holding his egg tightly in his hands.

"I'm just, er, going to see Proffessor McGonagall about our homework assignment thing," Harry announced to Ron and Hermione who looked up at him.

He didn't want to tell them about what Cedric had said, they would only pester him and ask questions. Well, maybe not Ron, but Hermione most definitely would.