Chapter 1 - A New Year

Harry Potter awoke groggily from his sleep on the train ride to Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It was the beginning of his fourth year and he was looking forward to it.

He lifted his head from the cold window, drawing a smiley face in the steamed up glass his breath had caused.

He glanced over at his two best friends, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, who were arguing over something Harry didn't much care for. Their arguing was starting to happen a lot of the time now. He didn't mind the two bickering, but he never liked being caught up in one of their petty spats. No such luck today.

"Harry, don't you think Ronald ought to be slightly more enthusiastic towards his subjects?" Hermione's voice rang shrilly through the compartment, making Harry jump.

Hermione gave him a death glare, telling him with her eyes to agree with him on the matter.

"I um.. uh," he started. He was about to agree, when he glanced at Ron who was making very obvious slitting movements with his hand across his throat, whilst shaking his head vigorously.

He glanced back at Hermione, who looked at him expectantly, waiting for an answer.

"I.. uh don't really know." Harry answered casually, trying to brush the situation away.

Hermione sat back in her seat with a huff, dropping the subject and Ron gave an audible sigh in obvious relief.

Hermione gave him a glare before burying herself in 'Hogwarts: A History.'

"So, mate, looking forward to the new year?" Ron asked Harry from next to Hermione.

"Yeah, should be good! Definitely looking forward to seeing Seamus, Dean, Neville and the other Gryffindors; have a chance to catch up from the summer." Harry smiled as Ron agreed with him.

He was about to say something else, when the compartment door slid open, and Harry glanced up through his mop of black hair, only for his eyes to turn cold and hard as he glared at the three newcomers.

Draco Malfoy, Pansy Parkinson and Blaise Zabini were all stood inside the door to the compartment, each wearing a smirk, perfected over years of tormenting innocent students.

"Oh, look who it is." Draco's snobbish voice ran along the walls, creating a suddenly tense atmosphere between the six students.

"Perfect Potter and his little Gryffindork friends, the mudblood and the blood-traitor weasel," he spat the 'P's as if they were venom.

Ron and Hermione gave him cold stares as his smirk grew wider.

"Shut up, Malfoy," Harry bit back at him, standing up to face the taller boy, clenching his fists.

"Just get out and stay away from me and my friends this year, got it?" His tone was laced with anger.

Draco's smirk faltered and something in his eyes flashed, but was quickly covered up by his usual smirk as he folded his arms across his broad chest.

"Whatever, Potty. See you later," he tried to put as much venom into it as he could, but he knew it was weak.

Blaise and Pansy followed him as he stormed out the compartment door and down the train corridor.

"Draco, what happened just then? You just let Potter win the argument we planned! We hadn't even started it yet!" Harry heard Blaise say to Draco, as they left.

But Harry didn't hear Draco's reply because Hermione had shut the door and Ron was talking;

"What was that all about?" Ron asked with a confused look, which justified exactly how Harry felt.