Part 15- She did WHAT

HARRIET'S POV

Before things started getting super crazy, Freddy demanded that I take the carrots and cut them Julienne style. Thank goodness Chris even mentioned what a Julienne cut was to me a few days ago or else I would have made a complete fool of myself. 

"When do I stop?" I immediately asked him. 

He looked me in the eye before saying,"Until I tell you to stop."

Before I got another chance to argue, he was off barking orders being the executive chef he was. The high energy of the kitchen definitely radiated off onto me, and I found myself cutting the carrots and lettuce faster than I had ever done before. Something about the environment told me that I couldn't afford to mess anything up. If cooking was my passion, tonight would be something I would learn from and cherish for years to come. 

As I was absentmindedly chopping, I let my mind wander to places that I hadn't in quite a while. I let it wander to Jacob and his clinginess. I flashed back to my discussions with Ashley and Megan. They didn't necessarily approve of my relationship between him, but they of course supported anything that made me happy. That's the  thing though. Am I happy? 

We fell into this place of assuming, and now we're back itno a routine. I'm almost bored. Is it because all the chase was over and the mystery was solved, I wasn't interested anymore. That couldn't be it. Jacob and I go way back. Maybe too back for me to stray away to anyone else. 

My body jerked away as a hand reached across my station and grabbed my stack of carrots I had chopped. Unnoticing of my shock, the person proceeded to take my carrots and take them away to the grill. 

Out of the corner of my eye, Freddy was watching me and must had seen my reaction. He came over to me and accused,"Do you think I'm here giving you busy work? You're a prep cook now. Other chefs take from your vegetables and use it in their dishes. Do you get it?" 

I felt the strong urge to roll my eyes, but I decided against it. "Yes chef." Then I went back to work. 

Almost an hour went by and the dinner request weren't looking at slowing down. Yeah, chopping carrots and lettuce is fun and all, but after ten minutes, it gets a bit repetitive. I saw all the other chefs expertly handling rising flames, and grinding away at their ingredients. It almost made me feel bad. Did I really come here to chop carrots? 

The person next to me seemed to sense my confusion and said,"Hey, kid. Don't worry about it. Believe it or not, your age I was busy chopping carrots too. It's not fun, but you gotta start somewhere." 

He was right. I had to start somewhere. But that somewhere wasn't with carrots. That somewhere wasn't with Jacob anymore. That somewhere was me feeling satisfied with where I was. And where I am is not satisfying. 

"You're right." I replied to him,"Thank you."

Adrenaline, heat of the moment, whatever you wanna call it rushed through me and powered each step I took towards Freddy. By his body language, he obviously saw me coming but didn't want to acknowledge me. 

"Chef." I called out. 

"What can I do?" He responded while shaking a pan that was in flames. 

"I don't mean to bother you, but is there any way I can do something more productive than cutting carrots?" I asked. 

He let out a genuine laugh before replying,"Why? Is cutting carrots not productive enough."

Despite his laughter, I stayed serious and responded,"Yes chef." 

"Well. Keep chopping carrots for now. We get a halfway break in about two hours. Go and chop some radishes while you're at it." He said before returning back to what he was doing.