11 | literal definition of asshole

Start from the beginning

     But maybe this is a huge part of the master plan.

     We're in the amphitheater again, anxiously waiting for Mr. Allen to tell us of the chosen roles. I can feel the anticipation in the room. Frankly, I didn't give too much on the audition; I don't have to have a role after all. I can help manage this whirlwind from the background.

      What I am anxious about is Trey. I'm silently chewing my nails, glancing at him in front of me. If he doesn't get a role... well, say au revoir. Because no one doubts that Justine's going to get a role. She has for every year. And whoever's going to work beside her is going to have a better chance than Trey ever did.

     But after Mr. Allen starts throwing all the names, I realise that's the least of my worries.

   "This is fucking bullshit."

     It's been half an hour since we went backstage. Everyone else left.

     We. Yeah, that's right. I'm in the play.

     I'm in the freakin' play.

    "Will you shut up?" Vic snaps, crossing his arms against the wall. "Some of us are actually trying to enjoy this."

     Apparently Victor Forbes isn't at all opposed to getting a role. At least some of us are happy.

     But I think this is the first time I've seen the two interact. It's really interesting. How do they know each other? Vic's not in the track team nor in his grade. And he's Trey's best friend, which would give Jude more reason to avoid him than —

     Jude cringes. "Stop it."

     I blink. "What?" That's when I realise both boys stopped talking and are looking at me.

    "You're doing that thing again."

    "Doing what thing?"

    "Fucking staring at people."

     My cheeks turn red. Vic snorts, and Jude just rolls his eyes. 

    "Anyway, I didn't mean it personally," Jude retorts, continuing his conversation with Vic as if my mortification didn't happen. "I'm fine with school plays, but at least you got a decent part, Demetrius." He pauses, staring at the distance with agony. "I'm casted as the literal definition of an asshole."

     I can't help it. Vic and I both burst into uncontrolled laughter. It's so irresistible that Jude's glare isn't even enough to stop us. 

     I wipe a fallen tear from my eyes. "If it makes you feel any better," I chuckle, nudging him. "I don't think anyone remembers Bottom, so hopefully no one will remember you, either." 

     Huh. It sounded better in my head.

     Jude narrows his eyes on me. "You know it was your character who turned my head into an ass, right?"

    "Generally speaking, ass here actually means donkey."

    "Like that makes me feel so much better." He curses. "I swear Allen just fucking despises me."

     The hatred in his voice is so evident that I take a step back. Even Vic starts to dwindle down his laughs. I think back to that day and what he said about football players.

     I pat his shoulder. "There, there. At least you're not TJ's bitch."

     That manages to cheer him up. Jude cracks a smile. "Yeah. Nothing can ever be worse than that."

    "Gather around, kids!" Mr. Allen calls from the edge of the room. "Okay, so before I give you the time and dates we'll be meeting, I want to give you a little summary of the story. I know most of you didn't actually read the script other than the parts you auditioned with."

     He directs that last line to Jude, and I have to give him credit for holding back on his anger. I see his fists clench, though.

    "You two," pointing at Justine and Trey, "are in love with each other."

     Because they're Hermia and Lysander. I know — I'm shocked as well. That Trey outdid himself again and managed to get the role of one of the main characters. Much less Justine's love interest.

    "But you," he points at Vic, "are supposed to marry her," turning to Justine, "per her father's request. So the two rebellious lovebirds run off to the woods in hopes to get eloped."

    "But you," he grins, pointing at Liv, whose eyes widen at the attention, "are in love with Vic's character. So you tell him that his future bride is running away, and follows him when he tries to go after her."

     The silence has never been so awkward.

    "Yadda yadda, there's a King and Queen in the woods, but that's not really important." TJ's face falls at the lack of acknowledgement, and most of us try to contain our amusement. Mostly me. "The King intervenes the quarrel of lovers and sends his faithful servant with a love potion. And so when the four main characters finally meet — Hermia, Lysander, Demetrius and Helena — hell breaks loose."

     Mr. Allen smiles. "All because of your character, Addie."

     I swallow. "Right." I pause. "Sorry everyone."

   "Also, Bottom," Mr. Allen addresses to Jude, "you're here to provide comic relief from the play. So try smiling for once."

     Jude glares.

    "Perfect."

     So, in short: Trey and Justine play as love interests, Liv and Vic play as unrequited lovers, TJ plays King Oberon, I play as the King's servant, Puck (cue vomit) and Jude plays Bottom, an innocent bystander who gets his head turned into a donkey for Puck's amusement.

     I really am a terrible character.

     The premise of the story should worry me, but I take a glance at Trey, who's handling this surprisingly well. His eyes are focused on what Mr. Allen's saying, and further ahead, I spot Justine taking a curious glance at him. There. Finally. She's impressed. 

     I hold out a triumphed fist.

     Jude rolls his eyes at me. "You're such a dork."

    "Stop paying attention to me."

     He looks at me for a while before letting out a single, dry laugh. "Whatever you say, sweetheart."

     This is gonna work. Trey and Justine's going to practice a lot. They're going to build chemistry. The play's like the major backdrop of our master plan. It's our safety net. And by the time this play will air, they're going to be a couple. For sure.

     I have no doubt of that in my mind.

A/N: Can you spot the parallels of the play to the story? I'm so excited to tangle them all together. Every role is tied in perfectly to the characters & future events. Feel free to theorise.