Chapter Fifteen - Friends in Unexpected Places

Start from the beginning

He patted Jahrra on the shoulder and instead of heading up the stairs they took a narrow stone path leading under the raised terrace and across a narrow footbridge over the creek.

"Where exactly are we going?" asked Scede cautiously.

"To the lowest level of the house, where the kitchens and servants' quarters are," he replied. "Don't worry. The partygoers won't venture down here. You'll have a chance to clean up and get something to eat. And if you wish to stay, you're welcome to partake in our own humble celebration of the Solsticetide."

He smiled down at the younger boy and Scede returned the gesture weakly.

Jahrra thought her rescuer had a charming smile and although his face showed that he was tired, his dark brown eyes laughed when he grinned. At the other end of the footbridge there was another stone deck, one that was attached to the north wall of the house. The young man led the children up to a wooden door and knocked at it strongly. A few seconds later a short, rather round woman jerked the door open in alarm.

"Lahnehn! Where ya' been? We been lookin' all over for ya'!" she exclaimed.

She seemed quite perturbed and relieved at the same time. Her face was pink and shining with sweat as if she'd been slaving over a stove all day. Her light brown hair was streaked evenly with gray and was tied back tightly in a bun, all except for a crown of lose tendrils that floated around her tired face. Her brow was furrowed and her small russet eyes were narrowed.

"Many sorrys Mrs. Addie, but you see I was called away for an emergency of sorts," the young man explained guiltily as he gestured towards Jahrra. "This young lady was enticed up the falls at the end of the canyon by our young master, and she fell only to be caught by a patch of oak branches."

"Oh, my!" the older lady retorted.

Her stern demeanor softened for a heartbeat but hardened once again as she placed her hands on her hips.

"That youngin' is too brash I tell ya', far too brash gettin' others into trouble. Come in dearie, we'll fix ya' up. I'll call in some of the younger 'uns to get ya' cleaned up and then we'll fetch ya' somethin' to eat. Thank goo'ness for the oak tho'. Ethoes herself musta been watchin' out for ya."

The woman shoved her sleeves farther up her plump arms and fluttered off in a flurry of skirts while the young man led the children into what could only be the kitchen. The warmth of the room was welcoming to Jahrra, who was dripping and freezing from the cold mud that coated the entire front of her body.

As she stood waiting to thaw out, she scanned the large room now surrounding her. There were three long, heavy wooden tables stretched across the floor, all of which were covered in food awaiting preparation. Four great stone ovens were set deep in the wall at the far end of the hall with a doorway and staircase, presumably leading to the upper levels of the house, placed on either side of them. On the right hand side of the kitchen was a great basin for washing and preparing food, and on both sides of this basin was a door leading to another room.

The kitchen was buzzing quietly with the sounds of boiling water and simmering soups, but it wasn't yet clattering and roaring with the clamor caused by busy chefs trying to get dinner ready on time. Jahrra sighed sleepily, detecting the subtle flavors of fresh herbs and spices hanging in the warm air.

A few minutes later Mrs. Addie returned with two younger women, one skinny and sickly looking, the other tall and plump with smallish eyes. Both women looked worn down, but they had kind faces and managed to cheerfully lead Jahrra through one of the two doors near the gargantuan wash basin.

Jahrra stepped easily into the other room, realizing instantly that it was the living quarters for the house servants. She counted a dozen or so rows of beds with only curtains to give privacy, and just one large window on the far end of the room. Under the window there was an area with a tub for bathing and washing up. Jahrra stood grazing her eyes over the walls, floor and ceiling while the women hauled in hot water, soap, towels and spare clothes. Once the tub was filled, they left Jahrra to soak in the steaming, fragrant water.