Chapter 34 - The hunt

Start from the beginning

            Tressa looks at the branch for a few more seconds, then she coughs some more. "You're right," Tressa says. "I shouldn't be out in the woods anyway. I'm mildly allergic to trees. You should go, Jade."

            "I don't think that's a good idea," I say. After a morning like this one, I don't trust myself holding something that could qualify as a weapon.

            "It's not an idea," Cale replies. "We're wasting time, you're coming, Jade. Deen, Spenzo, keep a look out. If there's anything suspicious, crawl to the back of the cave and don't say a word. Tammie, stay calm and prepare to cook when we get back. Tressa, take care of that cough." Cale orders sternly. His no-nonsense tone leads no one to question him. I only notice how tightly he's gripping his spear when I stand up to take the smaller one from him.  He's scared, as we all should be.

            The cave is a safe place. Its opening is concealed just enough by low hanging branches that unless someone specifically knew where it was, they wouldn't see it. And, even if someone did poke their head inside, the back corners where the sunlight can't reach are perfect spots to hide in. It's the first place I've felt safe in since I woke up here, a place far away from the guards, the doctor, the LEs, and their prying ears. We're about to leave to go out into the woods, a place that will soon be crawling with the people we ran away from, if it isn't already.

            "Let's get this over with. We only have a few hours, most likely less," Cale says.

            He steps out the opening of the cave and I follow.

            The sunlight filters through the canopy of trees overhead, and I'm mesmerized once again by the beauty of nature. I don't waste time taking it in, though, I follow Cale as he steps silently through the woods.

            "We're looking for any kind of animal," Cale whispers. "Bird, squirrel, gerbil, if we have to. I'll show you how to get it when we find one. Hope for something low to the ground, it'll make less noise because we won't have to worry about hitting branches."

            I nod. We tip-toe for a few more minutes, then Cale holds out his left arm to stop me; I freeze. I'm at first terrified he's spotted a guard, but when I look over his shoulder, I see he's lifted up his spear and aimed it at a small brown animal. In a sharp and precise motion, he jabs the spear into the side of the animal, piercing clean through the bone, and killing it instantly.

            He lifts up his spear, examining the impaled animal. "It's a squirrel, not enough for six people. We'd need about two more."

            I nod again.

            We walk a little while longer, then I see movement in the bushes to my left. I nudge Cale with my elbow and point at the bushes.

            I can't see any details, but whatever animal it is, it looks bigger than a squirrel.

            I don't even wait for Cale to tell me what to do. As if I've done this before, I creep up behind the animal, close enough to stab it, since with throwing there's always a chance I can miss. Then, I spear the animal right through its little head with force I didn't know I possessed. It doesn't even writhe before it dies. I look back at Cale, wondering if he's as surprised at me as I am with myself. He doesn't seem to be.

            "Nice kill," He whispers approvingly.

            I lift up my spear, not sure what to do with the animal on the end. Cale comes over and pulls the animal down the pole a bit, leaving room for the tip to stick out the end.