Kiana's eyes met mine. I knew that Kiana was thinking exactly what I was: If we could have chosen any members of the D.A. in addition to myself, Kiana, Jake, Josh, Cedric, Hermione, Christian, Jace, Lucas and Ernie to join me in the attempt to rescue Sirius, I would not have picked Ginny, Neville, or Luna.

"Well, it doesn't matter anyway," I said frustratedly, "because we still don't know how to get there —"

"I thought we'd settled that?" said Luna maddeningly. "We're flying!"

"Look," said Ron, barely containing his anger, "you might be able to fly without a broomstick but the rest of us can't sprout wings whenever we —"

"There are other ways of flying than with broomsticks," said Luna serenely.

"I s'pose we're going to ride on the back of the Kacky Snorgle or whatever it is?" Ron demanded.

I saw Christian running down with Jace, Ernie and Lucas and they soon approached us.

"The Crumple-Horned Snorkack can't fly," said Luna in a dignified voice, "but they can, and Hagrid says they're very good at finding places their riders are looking for."

I whirled around. Standing between two trees, their white eyes gleaming eerily, were two thestrals, watching the whispered conversation as though they understood every word.

"Yes!" I whispered, moving toward them.

They tossed their reptilian heads, throwing back long black manes, and I stretched out my hand eagerly and patted the nearest one's shining neck. How could I ever have thought them ugly?

"Is it those mad horse things?" said Ron uncertainly, staring at a point slightly to the left of the thestral I was patting. "Those ones you can't see unless you've watched someone snuff it?"

"Yeah," said Harry.

"I can see them," Cedric said.

"How many?" Jake asked.

"Just two."

"Well, we need nine," said Hermione, who was still looking a little shaken, but determined just the same.

"Ten, Hermione," said Ginny, scowling.

"I think there are thirteen of us, actually," said Luna calmly, counting.

"Don't be stupid, we can't all go!" I said angrily. "Look, you three" I pointed at Neville, Ginny, and Luna "you're not involved in this, you're not —"

They burst into more protests. My scar gave another, more painful, twinge. Every moment they delayed was precious; I did not have time to argue.

"Okay, fine, it's your choice," I said curtly. "But unless we can find more thestrals you're not going to be able —"

"Oh, more of them will come," said Ginny confidently, who like Ron was squinting in quite the wrong direction, apparently under the impression that she was looking at the horses.

"What makes you think that?" Kiana asked.

"Because in case you hadn't noticed, Harry and Hermione are both covered in blood," she said, "and we know Hagrid lures thestrals with raw meat, so that's probably why these two turned up in the first place."

I felt a soft tug on my robes at that moment and looked down to see the closest thestral licking my sleeve, which was damp with Grawp's blood.

"Okay, then," I said, a bright idea occurring. "Kiana and I will take these two and go ahead, and Hermione can stay here with the rest of you and she'll attract more thestrals —"

"We are not not staying behind!" said Hermione furiously.

"There's no need," said Luna, smiling. "Look, here come more now. You two must really smell."

I turned. No fewer than six or seven thestrals were picking their way through the trees now, their great leathery wings folded tight to their bodies, their eyes gleaming through the darkness. I had no excuse now.

"All right," I said angrily, "pick one and get on, then."

"Two people per Threstal." Kiana said.

I looked at her and nodded. She climbed on one with me and securely wrapped her arms around my waist. If the timing was right I'd take her far away from this place, away from everything bad.

"Neville, Luna, help the others onto one." I ordered.

Soon enough we were all ready and the Threstals took off into the air.