Chapter Eight

Sebastian soon appeared to check on her. His eyes briefly took in the damage done to her as he smoothly flipped another demon onto the ground and crushed his throat.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm good. These are healing," Maria paused to push a rogue towards Sebastian, who ripped out his wings, "well, the shoulder actually isn't."

With no enemies currently attacking them, Sebastian flashed over to her and inspected the wound with his calculating pink eyes.

"This may hurt a little," he said before suddenly plunging two fingers into the wound. Maria winced, but didn't say anything.

A few moments later Sebastian pulled back and showed her what he now held in his hand.

"A tooth?" Ugh, how gross.

"Yes. It was blocking your regenerative ability."

He was right. She could already feel her body start to heal the wounded shoulder. "Thanks."

Sebastian nodded in acknowledgment of her thanks. He was deadly serious when in fighting mode.

"The others and I are going to create an opening for you and Ciel to escape."

She briefly heard a few more pops of Ciel's gun go off. So he was still okay.

She nodded, and Sebastian pointed to the area they were going to break through.

"I'll go by Ciel," Maria said, briefly scanning the enemies to find the demon.

"Be ready, you'll only have a few moments to slip through."

"What about you guys?"

Sebastian gave her a look that said, "Really?"

He was right, again, they could take care of themselves.

"Be safe," she still insisted, then turned and began fighting her way towards Ciel.

Maria fought her way to Ciel slowly, yet easily. It was like a warm butterknife slicing through a stick of butter. This army of demons and Fallen rogues were newly-born and just plain weak. They didn't know how to fight, they had simply banked on overwhelming the group with numbers.

How wrong they were.

She broke through another enemy and came face-to-face with the barrel of a pistol.

Ciel, completely tuned in to fighting, pulled the trigger. Only a little click came out, however. The gun was empty.

"Maria!" He exclaimed, having the sense to look at least a little bit guilty.

"I can't believe you were going to shoot me just like that," Maria said, acting offended, smiling as she watched Ciel search for the right words to say.

"Anyway," she interrupted his thoughts, speaking as he started reloading his gun,"we're going to run soon, so be ready."

Before she could hear his reply she felt nails like talons dig into her arm as she was whirled around to face her next enemy.

The demon hissed at her and pulled back a fist to land a dying blow to her head.

Maria snarled back and prepared to fight back, but before she could the demon's face was destroyed by a bullet going through his head, right between the eyes.

She turned to face Ciel. "Nice shot."

Ciel nodded, and the two fought off some more enemies.

She spotted the others suddenly forming a little barrier just ahead of them, steadily chopping their way through the bodies that got in their way.