Chapter 35: The Rose

Start from the beginning

"Take one of those roses." She pointed at a bucket of long, dark red roses by the door. "And give it to the girl you fancy." 

"I don't like-" 

"Take the rose, dear," the woman instructed kindly. "It's free." 

I hesitated as I stared at her. She'd moved back to the counter and petted the Skitty who mewed softly. My head turned to the dozens of roses and I held my hand out, torn between picking one and leaving the store empty handed. 

"Don't hurt yourself, now." The woman's voice seemed to smile from behind me. "You seem afraid of something more than thorns, dear." 

I turned back around, "I told you, I don't like the girl." 

Her smile angered me, but she still spoke benignly, "Are you not strong enough to accept that she means a great deal to you?" 

"I'm strong enough for anything," I retorted, turning toward the bucket and plucking a rose carefully from the water, making sure not to touch the thorns. 

"Good luck!" the woman called as I walked briskly out the door. 

Batty old woman, I thought, clutching the rose in my hand. I looked down at it, wondering if I should throw it away. My hand, though, seemed unwilling to part ways with the flower as I thought about how much it would mean to Dawn to see the rose, a confirmation of my belief that she had gotten stronger, better, since we'd started traveling together. 

The more I thought about her reaction, her happiness, the more satisfied I began to feel about the plan. Still, maybe being anonymous would be best. I didn't want Dawn to expect me to buy her things, compliment her all the time, or question my reason for giving a rose to her. I frowned at the thought. 

Anonymous, it seemed, was best. 

The Contest Hall was magnificent looking. I hadn't known what to expect, but the outside looked just like a Pokemon stadium would for battles, just with a closed roof. There were just too many flowers around the entrance for my taste.  

Hiding my rose behind my back from onlookers surrounding the Contest Hall, I made my way in through the front doors. The walls were covered with photos of past winners hugging their Pokemon, ribbons pinned to their clothes. 

The lobby was pretty packed and I made my way to a map of the building, trying to locate where the competitors were getting ready. Finding a spot labeled "Dressing and Makeup Area", I made my way through the crowd, trying not to touch anyone who was standing idly in the middle of the hallway, taking up space and being stupid enough to not know they were in other people's way. 

Still, I said nothing. Dawn would be crestfallen if she found out I was banned from Contest Halls for the rest of my life because I threatened to strangle people who were being unhelpfully dim. That or she'd kill me. 

A door labeled "Contest Competitors and Staff Only" was supposedly in the next hallway to my right. Analyzing my location in the building, I took little less than a minute to find the entrance to the area and slipped through the door, finding myself amidst Coordinators bustling about make up tables, fretting about bows and how sleek their Pokemon's fur was. 

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as if I was about to jump into a tank full of Sharpedo. That seemed like a more pleasurable choice than this, but I clutched the rose in my hand tenderly. I had to see this through or else I'd curse myself for being a wimpy Torchic the rest of my life. 

Dodging all the Coordinators, I noticed name tags on the mirrors. Each Coordinator had their own table and mirror to occupy. With that, I began looking for the one labeled "Dawn" and, at the same time, making sure she was nowhere around to notice I was backstage.  

I found Dawn's table at the very end of the line where many costumes were on racks and extra props were sitting in boxes, collecting dust. It was more secluded than the others and I felt relieved by the lack of people in this area, though I wondered where Dawn was. 

Looking over my shoulder, seeing no one, I laid the rose on the table, realizing it would look much more presentable if it were in a vase. 

Cursing to myself, I looked around- nothing in sight that could hold my gift. Suddenly, I leaned to my right and searched through the box of props and knick knacks, luckily finding a vase. 

"Gastrodon," I murmured, releasing him from his Poke Ball. He blinked in surprise from the change in scene, especially one that was so pink and busy. "I know, it sucks being here. Fill this vase with water." 

I held the vase to Gastrodon's mouth while water trickled from it like a water fountain. 

"Thank you. Return." I put Gastrodon safely away and examined the vase, blowing dust off of it before plucking up the rose and putting it gently into the vase. 

Nodding to myself, I placed the vase by the mirror and straightened up. I checked the time- half an hour till the Contest started. I better get to my seat... 

I walked quickly back to the door, dodging Coordinators again, wondering if being around this many of them would cause any side effects, like wanting to kill myself. 

"Paul," a voice called from behind me, sounding amused. 

I tensed and turned around, noticing that the rose was out of sight from where I stood. "What do you want?" 

It was Zoey. Her eyebrow was raised. She was wearing some sort of suit for girls. It wasn't how I'd ever expect a girl to dress, though Zoey's air of confidence swept any insults I had away.  

Plus, I didn't want to be rude to Dawn's friend. I'd try, at least. Who knew what drama and blame would be placed on me if I were to make a girl cry before a competition of this magnitude. 

"I want to know why the hell you're back here." Zoey put her hands on her hips. 

"That's my business, not yours," I retorted. 

"Dawn's running late so she doesn't have time to see you."

So much for the seven hours to get ready, I thought dryly. 

"I didn't say I was back here to see Dawn." I stuffed my hands in my pockets. 

Zoey's eyebrows went higher. "Aren't you here because of her? To cheer her on?" 

"I'm here for support and to pay my respects...or try to."

"You sound like this is a funeral."

"My condolences." I smirked at her. 

"Get out of here," Zoey groaned. "I have work to do." 

Without another word, I turned to leave, happy to be rid of the atmosphere of this place. I paused before leaving and said, "Tell Dawn to kick some snooty Coordinator butt for me." 

"Charming," Zoey's voice was half amused, half exasperated. 

I left for my seat, feeling a little less out of my comfort zone.

Hi Everyone!

Next chapter is the beginning of the Contest :) Thanks for reading up to this point and traveling with Paul and Dawn as their journey continues.

Sooo, my question for this chapter: What do you guys think about Mega Pokemon? Do you like the idea? Have a favorite so far? I can't wait till X and Y comes out in October!

Thanks for reading yet again. If you like the story, be sure to follow, vote, and/or comment. Have an awesome day.

-Flips