Chapter Seventeen

So only right after I posted the last chapter did I realize that it was short by like a thousand words -_- Sorry that was totally my bad

Dinner that night was exactly as Blue had imagined it would be. After all, having her mother give her a sex talk involving the very people sitting next to her now would be awkward for her, but what she didn't realize was that the others would be awkward as well. And goodness are they all awkward.

"Maura could you please pass the potatoes?" Gansey ask politely.

"Of course," Maura says quickly as she passes the bowl to him. After thar the room goes back to being silent.

A few more minutes go by of absolutely nothing happening. Nothing except the clanking of Noah's spoon hitting his plate as he tries to eat some vegetables, Ronan's hand softly rubbing Adam's knee, Blue huffing her hair out of her face in annoyance, Gansey chewing on a mint leaf instead of actually eating his mashed potatoes, Adam flicking his eyes back and forth from his plate and Persephone-who shamelessly continues to stare at him, Maura smiles quietly at her plate, and finally Calla shakes her head from where she sits at the head of the table.

"So how was everyone's day?" Maura suddenly ask, breaking the thick silence from where she sits at the right side of the head of the long rectangular table they keep in their seldom used dinning room. To her right sits Adam and then on Adam's right Ronan sits. On left sits of the table sits Persephone and on her left sits Blue and next to Blue sits Noah. Gansey sits at the other end of the table so that he is facing Calla. Mumbles can be heard in response around the table, but no one really answers. Maura raises an eyebrow at Calla.

"Well lets try that again," Calla says this time. "What about you two?" Says looking between Gansey and Noah. "How is my car?"

Noah smiles at her but doesn't respond. Gansey clears his throat and and replies, "It went well. I don't think that I'm allowed back there, but they did fix your car."

Adam smothers a laugh with his hand. Calla on the other hand lets out a loud cackle. "You pissed off Old Joe didn't you?" She asks.

"It wasn't my fault." Gansey huffs.

"Oh yea it was," Noah laughs. Gansey only sighs again.

"Adam how do you know Old Joe?" Persephone asks suddenly, a kind simile on her face.

Adam looks at her in surprise. "Excuse me?" he splutters.

"You laughed when Gansey mentioned being kicked out, but in a knowing sort of way," She explains.

"Well uh," Adam feels his face becoming hotter as he finds keeping his natural southern drawl away harder than normal. "I used to work for him up until this year."

"Really?" Blue asks. "How come I've never seen you there before?" She wonders aloud.

"Well I mostly worked in the back on the cars. Old Joe didn't think that customers would like the idea of a teen working on their vehicles." He explaines slightly more relaxed at thinking of the many routine hours he used to spend working in that garage. "In fact I'll probably be back working in there this summer."

Blue smiles, Finally someone else from that bloody school that's worked for once in their entire life, she thinks. "Yea well I'll probably be back at Nino's Dinner this summer so I feel you there," She says with a laugh.

Adam smiles. "Really you work at Nino's? Tough gig." He says.

Blue smiles. "You don't know the half of it. Rowdy boys running amuck demanding more lemonade-ice tea," She says with a shake of her head.