Chapter Thirteen

So, it turns out I don't have school today! Well I do, but I didn't go because the exam being written today is Chemistry, and I'm not writing that, so I'm able to post an early chapter. I'm trying my best to finish this book as soon as I can, because I don't like keeping my readers waiting. I believe you guys deserve better. Anyways, hope you enjoy! There's an audio up there though.

KAE - Chris Brown.

***

I woke up the following morning, enjoying the warmth of my bed as the sun peeked through the blinds of my window.

It was a peaceful Saturday... well that's what I wanted it to be until I remembered the mission I'd set out for myself the previous night. I didn't have time to be lying around and enjoy the warm environment my room provided. I quickly threw my covers aside and took my phone from my bedside table, instantly scrolling through my contacts and pausing at Darlene's name. Without hesitation, I tapped the call button and waited patiently as the dial tone went on.

"Hello?" a sleepy voice answered, after somewhat, thirty seconds. "Zoe, why are you calling me at this time of the morning?" I rolled my eyes and began pulling on some dark blue jeans as I spoke in the phone.

"It's half past nine. You shouldn't even be in bed," I scolded. I'd already finished pulling on a lilac sweater.

"Whatever," she huffed, and I could have heard her moving around in the background. "Anyway, how did things with your mom go?" I sighed.

"Not good. She probably hates me now."

"Zoe, your mom would never hate you over a guy. Besides, you and I need to do some secret investigating on him." I nodded in response, forgetting that she couldn't see me. "Come over now?"

"Later. I need to check on Candace. I'll call her, and as soon as I get in touch, I'll be over at your place." Darlene agreed and we hung up. I rushed down the stairs, not eager to bump into anyone for that matter, and quickly got into my car and turned on the engine. I turned on the radio, listening to the weather forecast for the current day, and the anticipated events for tomorrow. Soon, I was on the highway and connected my phone to the Bluetooth in the car, that way, I didn't have to hold the phone to my ears to receive a call.

I'd already prepared the settings to call her, and it went straight to voicemail, so I figured, I was already on the road. So why not go see her physically. Eventually, I pulled up at a large house.

I never judged her friends, but I knew that they didn't earn what they had there, they went the easy way

I never judged her friends, but I knew that they didn't earn what they had there, they went the easy way. The house seemed vacant, but I still walked up to check it out, ringing the doorbell as I stood on the porch. Eventually, one of them, came downstairs, shirtless with his defining abs and tattoos.

 Eventually, one of them, came downstairs, shirtless with his defining abs and tattoos

"What do you want?" he demanded, sizing me up with clear annoyance.

"Well good morning to you too," I laughed nervously. He intimidated me, and not in a sexy way. More like the murderer alert way. "Is Candace around?" The young lad frowned and shook his head no.

"Nope. She never showed up last night." He clenched his jaw. "Like she was supposed to." He turned to me with angry eyes. "You poisoned her with your 'stuck-up life' morals," he spat.

"Huh?"

"She didn't like the party life anymore. Said she wanted to change and be a better person."

"Then where is she?" He raised a brow.

"I don't know. You tell me." He then closed the door in my face and retreated up the stairs, where he came from. I knew no answers lied there, so I returned to my car and just sat there, not sure what to do. So I dialled her phone once again, and it went to voicemail. I drove back home, my mind flooded with questions, wondering where Candace would be at this time. I grew even more puzzled when I pulled into our driveway, as a horde of police cars flooded the curb near our house and Emmett's car was nearby.

I quickly got out, gasping as I instantly recognized my mother crying in Chris' arms. He soothingly rubbed her back as she sobbed relentlessly. Then there was Emmett and Darlene standing there with horrified looks. I frowned at their stance, as I slowly approached our front patio, and the cops attention soon diverted to me, with looks of remorse.

"Wha-what's going on here?" I asked as Darlene pulled me to a private corner. She seemed so troubled.

"I don't even know how to put this," she mumbled to herself. Then the question popped into my mind.

"Why are you even here? I told you I'd meet you at your house." She glanced at Emmett who came forward, his eyebrows pulled together.

"We came here as soon as your mother told us the news," he explained.

"What news?" He took a deep breath and then began.

"A body was found, dumped on the side of the road. There wasn't any severe beating or decay, so it was easy to identify the lifeless body. They said the cause of death was strangulation, and there wasn't much evidence found near it, so it might be a while before they could pin it on someone." I gasped. It wasn't usual to hear about a murder in our peaceful town, but that still didn't describe why they were acting like this.

"Who was it?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. Emmett and Darlene exchanged looks with each other, before turning back to me.

"It was Candace," Darlene concluded, and it was barely a whisper.

***

Oooh. Candace? Dead? That was probably the last thing on your expectancy list. Don't worry, there are more surprises coming your way! Vote and share your views! There's going to be a huge break after this, so please bear with me for the wait. I have CXC.

Taja D'amore.