Girls Run From The Police

1.

Girls Run From The Police.

   In retrospect, Marceline considered that stealing her best friends car to escape the police without actually bringing said friend with her wasn't the best idea.

   Beside her, Jason yelled "Fifth gear!"

   Marceline responded with "It's an automatic!" And then "Put your goddamn seatbelt on!" He did and a few moments passed before she looked at him, frownknv. "We're literally going 30 an hour, what do you mean fifth gear? Do you know how to drive?"

   "Marceline, I didn't come here to be judged-- BRAKES!"

   She gave a rather unflattering shriek and slammed her foot on the brakes, coming to a screeching halt just before she committed vehicular homicide. There was a second where her potential victims stared at her - Marlie stared back - and then Shiloh Whitley spoke.

   "Christ, Marlie. Learn to fucking drive, will you?"

   This, evidently, was where their night got interesting.

   Shiloh Whitley was a whirlwind of a girl. 5'2; Korean and fluent in the language, currently cussing Marlie to hell and back. Lola beside her was breathless and leaning on Shiloh for support. She have a halfhearted wave and they began to move. Jason looked at Marlie, face the perfect image of rattled, and said "You know them?"

   "The past two years, give or take a few."

   Marlie slumped back in her seat as Shiloh and Lola got into the back of the car. she and Jason exchanged looks and he asked her "Do your Friday nights always go like this?"

   "Not if we can help it." Marlie said and turned to look at Shiloh as the car door slammed shut. "When'd the party break up?"

   "According to Everett - He's angry by the way - about two minutes ago." The glare of Shilohs' phone lit up the car and she squinted. "He said, and I quote "I'm gonna fucking kill her"." Marlie chuckled. Shiloh looked up through her eyelashes. "What did you do?"

   There was a pause. Marlie waited for her to connect the dots but all she got was a blank stare. "Shiloh. Do you see him in this car?"

   "No?"

   "Then there's your answer." Marlie turned back to the steering wheel. Fingers drumming on the steering wheel, she heard a sigh. "I stole his car - Jesus Christ."

   Shiloh huffed a laugh and caught her eye in the rear view mirror. "Is it really stealing if he gave you the keys?" And this really wasn't the point. The point was that Marlie had taken his car and left him behind in the hands of the police.

   She looked at Shiloh and Lola in the rear view mirror respectively and heard her phone buzz on the dashboard. It was January first, 2018, 00:17. Her hands were shaking from either nerves or excitement - she couldn't tell which - and she felt the ghost of a touch on her shoulder.

   "You alright?"

   "Just dandy." Marlie sighed. She was, in fact, not just dandy. She was tired. She was nauseous. She wanted to go home and she was hiding from the police.

   "Hey, Marce." Lola spoke up, staring out the back window and tearing Marlie from her thoughts. "You might wanna get going." The blare of a car horn behind them backed her up and Marlie, cursing, put the car in drive.

   There is no excuse for bitterness; but they were all college students.

   It had gone like this: the town council was out of commission for a while, which meant the recreation grounds had no supervision. So, naturally, the younger population decided to trash it. It was New Years Eve, anyway. It was bound to happen.
   Everett Mays sat beside Marlie on the hood of a car he never stopped talking about. With middle class parents and no siblings to speak of, he had a more than comfortable life; the perks of this included a car of his choice and a lack of student debt. His shaved head, star spangled skin, and two different coloured eyes left Marlie, pasty and raven-haired, quite plain beside him.