Moonstones

"Ok class," Mrs.Taflin says, "can anyone tell me what this is?" She asked holding up a small rock flake. The flake was an iradecent purple. Anyone in the tribe who had been alive for more than a month knew what she was holding.

"Junil" she called on a dark haired boy who sneered at me anytime I said anything hinting at intelligence.

"Moonstone" he replied.

"Yes, now can anyone tell me what it's used for?" I raised my hand. "Anya"

"To heal, it can heal all wounds and is know to heal all illnesses as well" I answered earning a snear from Junil.

"Exsactly. Now the only place it can be found is in the earth relm. The only way to get there is by the portal tree. you must spill a drop of magic blood to pass through. it should take you directly to the valley where moonstone is found. If I ever catch any of you in it unless it's an emergency I will make sure your roll in the tribe will not be a pleasent one." there were murmuers swelling up in the group.

Mrs. Taflin tried to calm us. "Children calm down!" she comanded in a booming voice.

Everyone instantly fell silent. "Now, I'm going to work with each of you individualy on your mind moving. Girls will come with me now and boys later. Anya why don't you just wait here with the boys." the group began to giggle and laugh as all the girls ecxept me left.

When the girls and Mrs. Taflin left a boy named Naxsis yelled " I don't know why Anya should be aloud to come to important lessons like the ones on the moonstones! she shouldn't even be aloud in the tribe she's just a useless TACHLI!"

I was about ready to hit him when my old friend Yinlel spoke up. "Anya is smarter than any of us magic folk put together! you should respect her for trying!"

I smiled that even after we stopped talking as we grew my childhood friend still cared for our friendship.

"Ohh looks like Yinlel has a mate in mind" Naxsis sneered loudly flinging dirt at Yinlel from his dirty thick hands.

"Shut your mouth Naxsis you are just jealous because he actully acts like he's 16 and you act like you are 5!," I shout.

After that he shuts his mouth and Yinlel shoots me a greatful look along with a mind message, "thanks". I smile and mouth the same back.

While all the boys talked in a small huddle i went over to sit in the shade of a nearby tree. I think Naxsis is right. I shouldn't be included in important lessons like ones on the moonstones. It's not like I can even open the portal tree anyway it requires magic blood not tachli blood.

I picked at a blade of grass infront of me dreaming of what it would be like to be one of the magic folk. My mother would love me. I would be in training to be the tribe leader. People like Naxsis wouldn't tease me. an most of all my father wouldn't be the only one who belived in me. I frowned and glanced at the huddle of boys. No one would notice if I left the lesson early. I wasn't needed anyway.

I slowly began to sneak away to Makara's den when Yinlel glanced at me. I put my finger infront of my mouth then showed the symbol of secret. He nodded and turned around, andIi left.

I sat still letting her finish my hair as I listened to Makara talk. I was in her den. Markara was the retierd healer and was one of the few people I enjoyed being around. " But Makara it's never going to change" I wined. " Oh yes it will child. I can already see great Magic swelling inside of you I can see the way the plants bend as you walk by , the way the stream ripples into small waves as you look at it, and the way the clouds spead to let the sun have his look at you. You have magic indeed Anya it just needs some time and a little hope." Markara relpied simply with a wise and ancient voice.

On my way back to the villiage I heard a cry and I ran to it. I walked over to a small farming field to see Mrs. Meleen crying over a fainted boy with thick green spikey hair.

The boy was Naxsis.