68: Forget about it all

Start from the beginning

Nathan put the necklace over his head and held the single claw tightly. He took a deep breath, "Let's go get your bags."

He mostly grabbed my stuff-there wasn't much. I just wanted one more kiss... Before we walked out of the bedroom, I pressed my lips to his one last time.

He kissed me as passionately as possible. It was more of a loving kiss that made you never want to pull away and feel safe and treasured. But I had to. I smiled a little at him before going back to the kitchen. 

"Ready?" Dad asked with a grin.

I only nodded. I hugged May and thanked her for letting me stay.  

"Any time dear," May smiled.

Ally was next to hug me goodbye, "You can come back anytime. Maybe next summer? I mean, I teach a vet technician class, but I'll still have time to hang out."

"Class!" My dad said suddenly and we all turned.

---------

Nathan-

I tried to hold back from grabbing Lyra in the middle of her goodbyes and running off with her.

"Class!" Her dad said suddenly and opened his small bag he carried.

He pulled out three big yellow envelopes, "Guess what these are?"

"You got me?" Lyra pulled away from my sister with a raised eyebrow.

"Acceptance letters!" David said excitedly.

"To where?!" Lyra gasped and my heart thudded painfully. 

"UCC college and two others," He grinned at her.

"I got accepted into UCC?! Oh my gosh, that was my top pick!" She cried and grabbed them.

"You can read over them in the car but I just remembered them. Class starts this fall."

Lyra nodded and turned to us, "Well, bye guys. Call me when the baby's born."

We nodded. Her eyes lingered on me and I resisted from grabbing her as she walked out the door. I watched her get in the truck with her dad and Baine...and leave. The farther away from me she got, the more my heart throbbed.

Ally came to my side, "Why are you letting her go?"

I took a deep breath, "Her dad needs her.."

"Well so do you," Ally pushed my shoulder and made me turn towards her. She put her hands on her hips and I knew this wasn't going to be a brief argument.

"She's got her whole life...I can't take her away from it just because I fell for her. She's going to call me anyway," I mumbled, staring out the window over my sisters shoulder. 

"Do you really think that's going to work? With her in California and you here?" Ally asked stubbornly.

"Yes," I lied. I knew deep down that if we stayed apart, nothing good would come of it.