49: Bad Luck or Something

Lyra-

I sat up with a groan. God I hate my mental alarm clock. Of course it was the ass crack of dawn and of course I had to wake up.

"Nooooo," Nathan grumbled immediately and pulled me back down.

"We have to get ready to go," I mumbled with a yawn.

"Shhhh, just a few more minutes..." He buried his face in the crook of my neck and I couldn't help but giggle.

"I'm going to make breakfast. Get up sleepy head," I chuckled, kissing his temple and pulling away to step out into the crisp morning air.

I threw some dried rabbit into a pot of water and set it over the freshly made fire. Pulling Nathan's shirt over my head, I changed into a T shirt and skinny jeans. Throwing on my usual hiking boots, I laced them up and stirred the pot.

Nathan still  hadn't gotten up and breakfast was ready.

I stood up and beat the side of the tent to make a lot of noise, "Wake up lazy ass, breakfast is ready!"

There was a groan from inside. I rolled my eyes and smirked, "Hurry up or else I'll give your share to Baine!"

"I'm up, I'm up! Please don't feed my food to the dog!" Nathan's head popped out of the door, his hair wild and his eyes trying to adjust to the bright morning light.

I swung my hair into a ponytail and chuckled, "Better get out here then."

He pulled himself out of the tent and grumbled about morning people. We ate quickly and were soon packed up to continue on. I managed to snag a fat rabbit for Baine to eat and we finished mapping things out while he finished his food.

"So, if we stay in a straight line, then we should be on track all day long," I pointed to the northwest.

Turning to make sure Baine was finished, we stood up and set off towards our destination. At least I hope our destination was somewhere in the northwest out here. It's sort of hard to tell and I'm not one hundred percent sure where the cabin is, but I have a good feeling about it.

Soon enough, the sun rose and beat down on us. It became very hot and we actually stopped to sit in the shade and rest for a few minutes. The trees were becoming more sparse and the ground more rocky. I suspected we were going down a rage base and would be left in the open soon.

So we filled out water bottles while we could and kept going. A few hours later, I was right. We cleared the first and second ridge with little trouble. The suns light became less intense and the sky became mottled with dark clouds. I didn't like the look of them at all. The wind began to pick up too.

I tugged on Nathan's shirt, " I think we should find a place to camp out for a few hours, I don't like the look of those clouds."

He waved me off, "Nah, it's just cloudy."

They were too dark and low hanging to be 'just cloudy'. But I understood that Nathan wanted to keep moving because the farther we walked, the closer we were to the cabin.

Another hour pasted and it was like we were walking during dusk, but I knew full well that it was only about four in the afternoon. We couldn't see the sun and the air was starting to get heavy with humidity. The wind whistled around us and blew my hair around.

I refrained from informing Nathan of the obvious as we came to the woods that stretched for a while yet again. I sighed as I picked up a long stick and used it to whack away the dead underbrush. I kept seeing multiple spots that could serve as a good hide out.