The Race

Laura

The lights flashed red four times, and on the green, the area where twelve Honda S2000's sat erupted into life, the rev of engines screaming into life as well as tyres squealing to get a grip on the tarmac. Nial had got off to a good start but Kai and Callum were right behind him. I had started in seventh place, but had overtaken the blue car on my left to reach sixth. This race was about to get competitive!

As the lead cars rounded the corner, Callum,  Kai and Nial all fought for first place, whilst Fred battled with a driver in a maroon S2000. I was about two seconds behind them as I came out of the first corner. A short straight section did nothing to separate the cars, but the twisting dirt section ahead would string the cars out like a string of multi coloured beads. Nial and Kai were the first to hit the dirt. Nial drifted into the corner, slower than Kai but with more control. Kai overshot, and on the switchback corner, was forced to brake sharply to avoid a barrier. This made way for Callum and Fred. 

I powered through, making the most of Kai's mistake, and as he rejoined the course, his rear - end was right in front of my front bumper. On the next corner, I nudged him, and the combination of this sneaky move and the unsealed surface made him drift off to the side, losing him another two places. 

Storming up the hill after the car in front, we rejoined the tarmac. A hairpin ahead mean't that everyone had to reduce their speed significantly. I braked arguably a little early, and this mistake cost me; the driver in the blue car behind slammed into my rear.

With this extra momentum, I only just managed the bend with noticeable under steer shredding my front tires. However, I was the lucky one as the blue car had taken a hard hit, and a bent axle mean't he was out of the race. Luckily for me, I didn't receive a penalty.

The last broad corner sore Callum overtake Nial from the outside. On the straight, the cars roared past the only grandstand on the disused race track where a small team of mechanics sat watching us pass. James, Lauren and Rat were all sat in the watch tower. As the first of seven laps passed, Callum led Nial, followed by Fred, another contestant, Sean and I. behind me were Nina and the other drivers.

Another three laps had passed, with two more cars dropping out due to the 'non - contact' rule being broken multiple times. My car hadn't sustained any more damage, but a heated battle between Sean and Fred had left their cars looking like a heap of scrap. This had also reduced their aerodynamics considerably. This had enabled me to catch them up. On the main straight, my attempt to pass Sean on the inside resulted in my car nearly losing control as Sean rammed me. I retaliated, sending his car spinning off onto the grass. This had cost him several seconds, and again I received no penalty. Another lap and I overtook Fred on the outside on the broad bend. This put me in third place, but Callum and Nial were so far ahead, I had no chance of catching them up.