Back to the challenge!

In the few days between the cafeteria moment and the driving course, Nial reached his former self, physically and mentally. He was more determined than ever, and that vibe burned off onto Laura, Nina and I. We were raring to go, and were full of anticipation.

The next day came, and we were the first competitors on the course. James, Lauren (his younger sister) and her boyfriend Gregory Rathbone. They would be verifying our results.

The course had been split into three parts: Firstly, we would have to race round a small course of cones in a Mini. We would have five laps, and the fastest time would be our final result for this part. It would test our skills behind the wheel as good spacial awareness and stick - shifting skills would be essential here. Oh, and every cone we knocked over would add five seconds to our final time.

Secondly, we would be driving a modified Suzuki Vitara round a tough off - road course. Similarly to the first part, we would have five laps, and the best of those would be counted. Our control would need to be concious and paying attention to the demonstration would be crucial as we had little off - road driving experience, despite our previous CHERUB driving courses.

The final part would be a mix of sealed and non - sealed surfaces, testing all of our skills. We would each be driving a Honda S2000, and it would be a race; meaning that all the other contestants, totalling twelve, would be out on the track.

This excited me and Nial. He was one of the best drivers in CHERUB, and so would pass these with flying colours. However, me Laura and Nina especially would struggle, as I was always over - confident, Laura got frustrated to easily, and Nina lacked the raw skill. She had passed her beginner course by the skin on her teeth.

I was first up, in the Mini. The course was testing, but I put in a 1:54, so not too far behind James's 1:32. I was happy. Nina was next up. She looked slow, and was overly - cautious; she only put a 2:06 in. Nial followed, and his vast array of skills showed here as he managed to clock in an incredible time of 1:41, putting him just 9 seconds behind the demonstrator. Finally, Laura hopped in, chasing down the finish with a entirely respectable time of 1:56.

Just as we finished, three sixteen - year - old boys turned up. These guys had been at CHERUB longer than us, and had earned their navy shirts. They all were quick, with their times in the 1:50 - 1:55 mark. This put them in amongst me and Laura. The next two contestants, a thirteen - year old boy and a eleven - year old girl called Stacey put in a time of 1:57 and 2:12 respectively. This made Nina feel a lot better about herself.

We were about to leave when Kai, Sean and a seventeen - year - old kid called Callum turned up. Sean was first up, clocking 1:52. Kai followed with a 1:49. Callum then powered round, and to Nial's shock, did a 1:42. He clearly had some tough competition for the dirt stage.