Chapter Fifteen

Mulai dari awal

"You would kill me?" the Pureblood said, clearly amused. "I don't think you have it in you to kill another Pureblood. Don't you know we are nearly extinct?"

"Don't underestimate me," Mei growled, her fangs showing.

"Mei, you don't have time," Kazuma warned. "We need to get out, before he..." Kazuma trailed off as he looked up on one of the walls and his eyes narrowed dangerously. Mei looked behind her and saw the Emperor, clothed in royal garb, looking down at her with a wild expression on his face. Fear tightened itself in Mei's stomach; she had run out of time. The energy surrounding her disappeared, and she lowered her sword to the ground. She was hoping to get the samurai out, but she was enraged when she saw the Pureblood. How could a Pureblood be working for the Emperor? None of it made sense to her.

"Taichi, you did not lie. She would come if we used the samurai." Mei gritted her teeth together, suppressing a growl forming deep in her throat. The sound of running feet caught Mei's attention. She slid her eyes over and saw more elites were pouring into the courtyard, ensuring they wouldn't be escaping. Kazuma was surrounded by at least ten of them, and several were behind the Shin Clan with their swords pressed against their throats. Mei herself was surrounded; she looked back up at the Emperor as he cleared his throat. "I'll give you a choice princess. Come quietly and I'll let the samurai and your demon friend go. Fight and I will kill them all here. Your choice."

Mei glared at the Emperor, hating him for putting her in this situation. She looked back towards Kazuma, who was shaking his head, his eyes pleading her not to do it. She looked over at the samurai and saw their eyes were wide with fear, almost as if they believed she would abandon them. Damn the Emperor to hell, Mei cursed. She released her Abyss Blade and as it vanished into thin air, the Pureblood, Taichi as Mei recalled, on the stand suddenly appeared behind her. He grabbed and chained her hands behind her back and Mei noted he wasn't being gentle about it either.

"Wait, Mei..." Kalik began.

"Don't worry Kalik. Demons keep their promises, even when humans don't. Isn't this what you wanted from the beginning? You wanted revenge by turning me over, so I'll fulfill that part for you. I bet you feel accomplished," Mei said sourly. Kalik hung his head in shame, his eyes filling with sadness. Kazuma sheathed his sword and the elites backed off and started heading back towards the tunnels.

"I finally have you back in my grasp, princess. Taichi, bring her to the upper chambers. We'll finish our discussion there. Samurai, I have no more use of you. Get out of my capital." With that said, the Emperor turned and left. Taichi hauled Mei off and the rest of the elites surrounded them. Mei looked over her shoulder and saw Kazuma, his face expressionless and Kalik, whose sadness could be seen in his eyes as she left. She saw them turn to go, being escorted by the elites, and Mei turned back around, determined to face the Emperor on her own.

 Mei stood leaning against the walls of the chamber and Taichi stood near the door. She was rubbing her wrists, seeing Taichi thought she no longer needed the shackles that held her before. Mei couldn't help but notice he actually seemed relieved she was here. The way he looked at her; almost as if she was his salvation. Mei wondered what made this guy decide to work for the Emperor anyway. She knew the Emperor had powers, but nothing that should be able to hold a Pureblood back. He seemed to respect her just like any other demon, but the thing Mei found interesting is that he seemed uneasy. Like something was truly bothering him. The door burst opened, causing Mei to jump. She saw the Emperor come in and this time she got a better look at him. He was tall and slightly muscular, about in his early forties with brown facial hair slightly covering his chin. He had brown hair that was tied back and royal garments clothed him. His eyes are what threw Mei off; they had the look of a cold-blooded killer.