Chapter 23 - Goodbye

Friday, June 3rd, 2016

Mark's POV

The teachers had practically given up on teaching us anything. I had a free period in almost all my classes. I was excited for my class with Jack so I could hang out with him.

I walked into class and set my bag on the floor. The teacher sat at his computer, possibly browsing through memes, and sipped his Starbucks.

"Do whatever. Just don't leave the room or break anything." He said once the bell rang. I was about to stand up to walk over to Jack, but he already ran up and sat next to me.

"Hey." He leaned back in a chair next to me.

"Hey." I took a breath. "I'm sorry about last night. I was so dramatic and rude... I didn't tell you how amazing you did."

"That was NOT my best. I could've done so much better." He pouted.

"But it was awesome! You're so talented... You are amazing at piano, you are a beautiful singer, and you're so good at acting. I couldn't tell you were worried at all." I told him honestly.

"That's because you're stupid and you don't notice things." Jack giggled.

"You suck." I chuckled.

"I'm sure you don't mind that." Jack winked. I burst out into laughter. After a little bit we both calmed down and I sighed.

"Man... Last night I was such a jerk." I ran a hand through my hair.

"It's okay. I understand you were upset." He played with his fingers.

"I just wish I could do everything over and see every day in your point of view..." I sighed.

"Huh. You want to deal with me and my angsty thoughts? Every breakdown and the memories I have to live with?" Jack raised his eyebrows.

"I'll deal with whatever you throw at me." I look him in the eyes. His eyes are glowing bright blue, and it looks absolutely beautiful. His lips part slightly and his hand brushes against mine.

He breaks our gaze and looks away. His face is burning bright red and he runs a hand through his hair.

"You're a good friend, Mark." He bit his lip.

"You are too, Jack." I look away from him and nod.

"You know, that deal is today." Jack says quietly.

"Yeah. I haven't even thought about it a whole lot." I chuckle. "You won't do anything to get me killed, will you?"

"I can't say anything. Our bet was that you know what I want you to do if you accept the offer." He sneers.

"Aw, you won't have mercy on wittle ol' me?" I bat my eyelashes.

"Are you fuckin' kidding me, Mark? I've never given anyone time to think about it, and most of the time not even give them an option. I've only had mercy on you, Mark. Don't push your luck." Jack laughed.

"So, when did you become such a bad ass? I haven't seen you nearly as mean and awful as people make you out to be." I ask.

"It started when I was younger, I guess. Shit happens and it really takes a toll on you. And you haven't seen me be as mean as I usually am. I don't want you to..." He muttered. I thought for a moment.

"What about Price?" I ask.

"Not even fucking close. I'm so sorry that you saw that, though. I don't want you to even hate me the slightest bit." He confessed.

"Why were you upset?" I look at him. He sighed.

"Price slept with Jess, and the very next morning started dating Allie. He got Jess pregnant and she had to give the baby up for adoption. H-He came up to me after school... He found out I knew. And so he t-told me that if I-I told anybody... He would tell everybody that you were gay." He whispered the last sentence so only I could hear.

"How did he find out?" I looked at my feet.

"He just saw the way you and I acted around each other and he assumed. I guess I just told him he was right when I slapped him." Jack put his finger under my chin and made me look at him. "I didn't want him to do that to you."

I nodded. Jack hugged me and rested his chin on my shoulder. It was short, but I wanted it to last forever. It wasn't needy and as tight as all our other hugs. It was gentle and comfortable, just genuinely hugging each other without apologies or needing to be comforted. Just two happy people, comfortable with how they were, just sharing a kind gesture.

After we both pulled back the bell rang. Jack sadly looked into my eyes. We both stood up, not looking away. Finally Jack looked to the front of the room and walked over to get his bag. We walked shoulder to shoulder to the door. We were the last students out because everyone else rushed away.

Just as we were about to split up Jack gave my hand a light squeeze.

"Tá grá agam duit." He let go of my hand and was about to walk away, but I stopped him.

"What does that mean?" I ask.

"It's Irish. It's my way of saying goodbye to you." He smiled sweetly and walked off to his next classroom.

~AN~

The next chapter is the last chapter
;-;

Anyway, thank you guys so much for reading, and if you liked it, PUNCH that vote button in the face, LIKE A BOSS! And I will see all you fangirls IN THE NEXT CHAPTER!

Or is it?