Our Everlasting Melody (20)

Start from the beginning

She was pulling out a low-cut shirt and laying it against her body to show the girl she was with.

"You know that boy I really like?" she giggled, and I felt my hands ball into fists. "Do you think he'll like this on me?"

"Oh, yeah, totally," the girl she was with nodded. "He'll love it! Who is this guy, by the way? You talk about him all the time!"

Mona giggled again. My fingernails dug into my palm. I already knew who she was going to say.

"His name's Blake," she finally answered, and I bit the inside of my cheek. "He's actually my ex-boyfriend. He actually used to go to our school, but he left the year before you came!"

The redhead was nodding again now. "Oh, so he's an ex-boyfriend? Do you think he still likes you?"

Once again, Mona giggled. It was really starting to annoy me. "I really think he does!"

I wanted to scream. This girl needed to stay away from my boyfriend before she became an even bigger threat. And it seemed that that could happen soon!

"But there's one thing I have to worry about," she continued now, and my legs were kind of starting to hurt from crouching behind the clothing rack. Elias, of course, didn't seem to be straining at all. "There's this girl..."

Oh, no.

"A girl?" the redhead gasped now, as if that was the scariest thing she had ever heard. "Like a girlfriend? Just break them up!"

I immediately didn't like this girl, and I didn't even know her name. I sure hoped that she never decided to come to our school.

"No, no, not a girlfriend," Mona laughed now, even though I was sure the redhead hadn't been joking. "Well... she's an ex-girlfriend, and she's actually a really good friend of mine. But they're always together, so I can't help but worry that they might still have feelings for each other."

So she wasn't completely clueless. That was good to know.

"Well, I think you should pounce on him while you can," the redhead advised now as she flipped through clothes in another rack. "Figuratively and physically. You don't know if that bitch is going to try to get him back or not!"

Yep, I really didn't like her. I wasn't exactly fond of being called a bitch, especially when it was by someone that didn't even know who I was.

"No, she's not like that!" Mona now defended, and I almost felt bad for hating her. "She's actually very nice! But, yeah... I don't know if they still like each other or not. So I should probably make my move soon."

She should make no move at all. She needed to stay far, far away from him.

Sick and tired of this conversation, I turned around and stormed right out of the store, not even waiting for Elias. He could catch up to me.

 "Wait... I thought that Mona girl was dating Blake," Elias now said as he followed after me, and I stopped dead in my tracks. "That's what Carrie told me."

I gulped. What was I supposed to say?

"Um," I hummed, thinking that this would somehow buy me some time. "He only said that so Carrie would stop bugging him about me."

That sounded believable, right? I sure hoped so.

Elias was Carrie's boyfriend, which meant he couldn't know about Blake and me. I didn't think he would tell Carrie, but he was the kind of guy where it could easily accidentally slip out. And it was already bad enough that both Thomas and Morgan already knew.

Obviously noticing that I was no longer in the mood to hang out, Elias suggested that we go home. I agreed. Even though I wanted to spend more time with him because I rarely ever got to see him, I just didn't feel like being out any longer.